Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 New Forum - Data Corruption Issues

Author  Topic 

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-30 : 05:33:56
What a cracking solution to enabling Paul et al to have a focus-list

Nice one Graz!

Kristen

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-30 : 06:30:24
Hey, by the by, how about giving Paul a fancy handle?

(I've asked before, if this Soap Box tell me, and I'll shove off!)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-30 : 10:45:50
We will have to give him one. We'll have to wait and see what kind of interesting personality traits he has and then pick something suitable :)

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-30 : 11:04:45
quote:
Originally posted by graz

We will have to give him one. We'll have to wait and see what kind of interesting personality traits he has and then pick something suitable :)

One crisis at a time.

Would you like a list? How about 'The Repairman'?

btw - is there any way to subscribe to an entire forum rather than polling regularly for new posts?

Paul Randal
Dev Lead, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-30 : 13:52:33
quote:
btw - is there any way to subscribe to an entire forum rather than polling regularly for new posts?

Unfortunately there isn't right now. I had to disable forum level subscriptions for performance reasons. Querying the database and sending all the emails was just taking too long during the post process. I've been toying with writing an offline notification service so I probably just need to break down and do that. For now you're limited to checking the forums now and then.

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-31 : 04:35:39
Paul, in case it helps (and hopefully is not teaching the old art of Sucking Eggs!) my approach is to use the Active Topics link which shows me what's new since last time I looked.

I right-click open-new window on each topic I'm interested in, or drag the link to my pre-existing second window.

Now this bit someone else kindly told me and I don't reckon its obvious:

When I'm done with the list I click the "Mark all topics as read" icon top left and that refreshes the list. If the list that then comes up is empty I can press refresh a bit later on to see if there is new stuff.

I leave that SQLTeam window open - seems the best way to have SnitzForum application give me an accurate list of Whats New.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-31 : 12:35:08
Ah - cool. Now - who's going to take the plunge and post first to the new forum?

Paul Randal
Dev Lead, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-31 : 12:49:51
Graz may want to MOVE some of the existing threads where folk appear to have a corruption over there?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-31 : 19:22:15
Have you been reading my mind?

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-01 : 01:52:27
quote:
Originally posted by graz

quote:

Unfortunately there isn't right now. I had to disable forum level subscriptions for performance reasons. Querying the database and sending all the emails was just taking too long during the post process. I've been toying with writing an offline notification service so I probably just need to break down and do that. For now you're limited to checking the forums now and then.

One crisis at a time.

What about Frank's idea from this thread. http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52218

I've been playing with RSS feeds from other snitz forums and it seems to work really well.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-01 : 17:40:54
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

When I'm done with the list I click the "Mark all topics as read" icon top left and that refreshes the list. If the list that then comes up is empty I can press refresh a bit later on to see if there is new stuff.
Kristen, why not just set the "Refresh Page every ____ minutes" drop-box? That's what I do when I've got it open, then I can just glance over to see if there's anything new and don't have to do anything else.

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-02 : 00:48:59
I used to do that but I got in a muddle with what I had seen and what I hadn't (can't remember the details now), but this "manual refresh" suits me nicely - of course everyone else's MMV! but thanks for the thought.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -