Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 T-SQL Puzzle

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-01 : 14:48:36
Louis Davis writes "Greetings,

I recently have been given the task of creating a custom table defined by the customer's DBA. This table is to hold item information and manufacturing info. How they designed the table's schema is as follows:

BatchID
ProductID
ProductName
Inst 1..NN
Weight 1..NN

If a query was ran against it, it would look like this
BatchID ProductID ProductName Inst001 Weight 001 Inst002 Weight002 Inst003 Weight003 Etc.

Right now they set a limit of 100 for the maximum number of instructions and weights, but it could increase. As you can see this doesn't even meet the first rule of normalization. I proposed creating a normalized schema to avoid the problems the table schema above would present. However, this table is for another system to use and those developers need it this way.

My thought was to create my schema anyway and then create a view that created the table structure for the other system. However, I'm finding it difficult to find a way to succesffully do that. Has anyone come across this situation and if so were you able to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks."

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-01 : 15:53:29
Would a "Pivot Table" be applicable?

HTH

=================================================================
The most tyrannical of governments are those which make crimes of opinions, for everyone has an inalienable right to his thoughts. -Baruch Spinoza, philosopher (1632-1677)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -