Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 is this true?

Author  Topic 

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 21:52:33
this kid must really be smart
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2139880/preteen-becomes-microsoft

--------------------
keeping it simple...

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 22:28:15
Well, it's on the M$ site too...

[url]http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/pakistan/Communities/arfakarim.aspx[/url]

it's a gift to find a passion as such an early age.
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 23:01:32
Yes - its true, and she's not the youngest either. Another kid beat her by a year a few years back. Pretty amazing.

Paul Randal
Dev Lead, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-03 : 23:52:56
kids should be kids. I feel sorry for this little girl. She should be having fun with her friends, not taking MCP exams. Hell, if she is that smart, have her learn something that matters (no offense to you microsofters out there) instead of something that will be obsolete in 2 years.

You wonder how much of what she did was because of her parents pushing this on her.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-04 : 00:24:57
quote:
Originally posted by eyechart

You wonder how much of what she did was because of her parents pushing this on her.

Mozart was composing at 5 and playing before royalty at 6. He didn't turn out so bad.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-04 : 00:41:20
quote:
Originally posted by SamC

quote:
Originally posted by eyechart

Mozart was composing at 5 and playing before royalty at 6. He didn't turn out so bad.

how about todd marinovich?

I think many people want to believe that their child is some kind of prodigy (like mozart), but the reality is that they are not. Pushing them so hard just leads to trouble. There are far more marinoviches than mozarts.

-ec

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-04 : 00:55:55
I agree on "keep a broad perspective" for kids, but I'm very keen for my No. 1, who is 12, to get obssessed by something. She does lots of things pretty well, and above average for her age, but I think the intensity of a hobby that she could really get "obsessed" by would be good for her.

I hadn't thought of MCP exams - I'll ask her what she thinks

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-04 : 01:17:47
ha ha ha, just can't imagine what Mr. Bill Gates was thinking after this statement

quote:

What future product would she develop? "Doors" – to follow Windows, of course. She explains what the product would look like: “You would open one large door and inside would be a variety of rooms, which would house different applications. It would be more like a game. Kids will love it."

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-04 : 01:36:21
Now-a-days kids seem to be more clever than thsoe in the past

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-04 : 07:58:03
I reckon I was as clever as my No. 1 when I was at school, but she has way more opportunity than I ever did - with the ease of travel (my mother didn't drive until I was about 7, before that my father had one of only a handful of cars in t he village) she gets to far more ToDo things locally.

TV is on all the time [mixed blessing, but assuming she watches SOME good stuff!] whereas when I was a child it was on for "children's hour" from around 5pm until 6pm, then evening programs, and nothing from midnight until 5pm - and I remember the 3rd TV station starting up around then. No Discovery or Nickalodeon(SP?) then!

No internet to look things up then either. My daughter uses her computer as a practice companion for her music - it can beep if she plays a wrong note, speed up, slow down, Transpose to an easier key to sing along to, and play all the other parts in the orchestra if she wants - those sorts of aids to learning would have helped me a lot, I was poor at music practice because a) I only got any feedback one a week and b) it was very solitary.

At school they have interactive boards so that teachers can project images and stuff from PCs, and "write" on the board's image, and then print it out for everyone's note books. A far cry from the black board, chalk and "right, all of you lot: take notes" approach.

And she's learning conversational French, which has to be more useful than the parrot-fashion heavy-duty classics that we did. Which probably accounts for why she is on a par with her parents at the Sunday Lunch "Speaking French" that we do - which is usually Chinese Whispers in French which is hilarious because none of us have a good enough ear, or grammar, to pass any sentence on reliably!

At school in addition to the regular curricular stuff she can drive a go cart, ride a horse, play Golf, Sail, do Archery, Clay Pigeon shooting and there are Tennis and Squash courts and probably a host of other things I don't even know about (Yeah, yeah. Its a private school, but so was mine and we just had "camps" that we built in the woods - which was instructive enough, but not quite the same! - we did have tennis courts)

And they all read avidly, thanks to Harry Potter I suppose. She's mildly dyslexic like me, but is definitely ahead of the reading level that I was at her age. She's about 3 grades up in Music too [although she isn't "musical" IYKWIM] compared to me at that age.

They have Movies to watch at home, and great systems with which to appreciate music - the "gramophone record player" my father has was extremely expensive, a cherished possession I was only allowed to touch under supervision, and was in the shop having its valves repaired 99% of the time!

SO I reckon Technology and Opportunity have helped the next generation a lot.

What do they say, something like 50% of what you learn at school was discovered in the last 50 years ... what will her kids have to boost their childhoods?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-04 : 09:09:50
3-d TV

I think Ralph is still waiting for that one...

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-04 : 10:37:26
Gotta read some more science fiction to gen-up on tomorrow's fact!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -