Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - SQL Server 2005/Yukon
 T-SQL 2000 features NOT in T-SQL 2005

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-26 : 08:09:38
Sri writes "Hi,

I just want to know what features/functionalities that was available in T-SQL 2000 but NOT in T-SQL 2005.

If some one could point to articles and url's related to this that would be great.

Thanks
Sri"

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-26 : 08:11:28
Well, I know they (FINALLY!!!) dropped the obsolete *=, =* outer join syntax. They've also limited direct access to system tables. Both of these are definitely good things so no one will be missing these old features.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-26 : 10:29:03
Do they have anything like compatibility mode, so you can get your favorite obsolete features back.

quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

Well, I know they (FINALLY!!!) dropped the obsolete *=, =* outer join syntax. They've also limited direct access to system tables. Both of these are definitely good things so no one will be missing these old features.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-26 : 13:08:20
I vaguely remember someone posting that *= did NOT work in compatibility mode either, but I think it was one of the older CTP/beta releases. I haven't tested it, but I kinda hope that one remains broken forever, it's only been on the obsolete list for 10 years.
Go to Top of Page

Gryphyn
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-27 : 22:22:54
One I recently encountered "xp_getfiledetails"
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-27 : 22:41:36
I believe it didn't work in April, but it did in June. I might be wrong though. hmmm

I'm currently redownloading ALL the MSDN software since I blew my computer away BEFORE I copied everything to one of my other drives. This should give you "another" good laugh Rob.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

SQLServerSpotlight
Yak Posting Veteran

57 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-27 : 22:45:09
dbcc memusage used to work in 2000 (dispite being depricated since 6.5)
its gone now.
Go to Top of Page

SQLServerSpotlight
Yak Posting Veteran

57 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-27 : 22:47:13
xp_getfiledetails was IN he June ctp, it just failed (and could not be trapped by 'catch')
it was removed in the September CTP.
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-29 : 16:33:50
I removed about 40 undocumented and deprecated DBCC commands. I also removed the functionality of DBCC PINTABLE without it going through standard deprecation as its a dangerous command which no-one needs to run (i.e. you can't beat the buffer pool algorithms).

Paul Randal
Dev Lead, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -