Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Other Forums
 Other Topics
 SQLBase Functions

Author  Topic 

chriskhan2000
Aged Yak Warrior

544 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-29 : 15:02:36
I've never worked with SQLBase before and was wondering if anyone know where I can find a book online or a list of functions available for it. I'm doing the queries in Visual Studio 2003 and was doing a DATENAME(month, Date_Started) AS Date, and I keep getting error.

Any help?

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-29 : 15:06:29
I worked with that crappy DBMS for 2 years. I don't recall the exact location, but the documentation should be installed on the database server and on any client machine that just has the tools.

Hopefully you aren't the DBA for it. I aged several years working on that system. I once had to work 20 hours in a 24 hour period getting a mission critical database back online after the dang thing crashed on me at 1 in the morning and the backups wouldn't restore.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

chriskhan2000
Aged Yak Warrior

544 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-29 : 16:19:00
Tara,

I haven't barely touch the surface yet and it's starting to become a drag already. What tool did you use to work with it? I heard that SQL talk is a little different from query analyzer and Visual Studio 2003.

It would help a lot if I can work on it with SP. I just start touching with it today because one of our payroll application use it. I'm trying to look all over the net for more information on it, but have not found much.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-29 : 16:21:13
Not many people use Centura SQLBase, so that's why you won't find much information. Yes I used SQL Talk. I don't recall the name of its Enterprise Manager, but it has one. All of your queries will be in SQL Talk. You'll need a semi-colon at the end of each query for it to know it's the end. T-SQL doesn't require it, although it'll allow it.

I don't recall if stored procedures could be used, but I would guess yes. It's been almost 4 years since I last used it. The version that we were on was 7.5 on NT 4.0.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

chriskhan2000
Aged Yak Warrior

544 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-29 : 16:40:28
I found the help file in where SQLTalk resides. Problem is that since I"m working on it in Visual Studio 2003, most of the functions doesn't work...or at least the ones i'm trying to get.

SELECT DATEMONTH(Date_Field)
FROM EMPLOYEE

As Date will not work and generates an error.

ERROR[HY000][GUPTA][ODBC DRIVER][SQLBASE]00902 PRS MFC MISSING FROM CLAUSE

I'm clueless to what is going on. Seems like every function I'm trying to use gets me an error.

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-29 : 16:41:43
I'm not sure how you are working on it within Visual Studio 2003. Do you have an ODBC driver for SQLBase installed on your client machine? How are you referencing it in code?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

chriskhan2000
Aged Yak Warrior

544 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-29 : 16:49:24
Yes I have an ODBC driver that reference to the SQLBase. If I run the SELECT statement then it's fine. THe problem I'm getting is using functions.

Boy.....this is a pain since I need to have a bunch of parameters which I'm not sure how it's possible to do if I can't get a SP going.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -