Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Development Tools
 Reporting Services Development
 Page Level Security in SQL Reporting Services

Author  Topic 

SQLREPORTSGURU
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-30 : 14:05:24
My company is evaluating to move to SQL Server Reporting Services from Actuate. One of the main issues we have unanswered is the Page Level Security. Any one who worked with Actuate Reports may know this functionality better. Page Level Security means letting users see only certain pages and not all pages of a big report based on their role, userid etc. I tried a lot to implement this functionality and I am not successful. Any help towards this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SqlReportsGuru

gcowhsu
Starting Member

38 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-31 : 12:29:46
Reporting services has good report security, but I'm not sure about security within a report. If there is none then you have to deploy multiple modified copies of the report to different places and then set up user groups in windows and set the security in the report manager to see what you want each person to view.

Another way to do it is to restrict the parameters that a person sees when they go to run the report.
A lot of our reports involve branches and the whole company type deal. If you are just a branch manager you will only see your branch when you run the report so you are not given options to see everything. We do that in the query that returns the parameter values.
Go to Top of Page

SQLREPORTSGURU
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-01 : 09:29:25
Our reporting system is not real time and the users are not given ability to run reports on the fly due to the nature of business. We run reports during night and make them available for business to see them next morning. We have about 500 different users and each get to see their own pages in a single big report. We can not break a single report into 500 individual reports and it is going to be a nightmare to maintain as we have several reports that need page level security and we archive all of them. Any idea to implement this functionality is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SqlReportsGuru
Go to Top of Page

SQLREPORTSGURU
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-20 : 09:48:35
It's been a while. Any thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-20 : 11:57:16
I suppose it's a bit obvious to say..."and what does the supplier 'Actuate' have to say to this requirement??"
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-03 : 13:39:11
What happens to any aggregates (such as totals)? Are they reduced to reflect only the data on the pages that are approved for viewing?

What about the idea of breaking the report down to distinct units and distributing them to the appropriate people via subscriptions?

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

SQLREPORTSGURU
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-13 : 13:36:15
To answer AndrewMruphy's question, Page Level Security is a built in feature of 'Actuate' and in fact it is one of their selling points.
Go to Top of Page

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-14 : 02:54:06
Reporting Services can grab the user ID to use in a filter or you could use a document map to let the user find their own bit though with that they would be able to see the whole report if they wanted

steve

-----------

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -