Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Simple SQL to update specific columns

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-31 : 07:36:52
Kairn writes "I have created a table and imported data from another table to it. I need to update the existing data with values from another import but only need specific columns and am assuming a stored procedure is the way to go...IF I create a source table as well as destination(?). I have to compare the value in 6 columns to find the matching record in the destination, then update 5 of the other columns where source=dest. Finally, I need to sum, by row, the value in 3 of the columns and update another column to reflect it. All rows are unique in the destination. The source is a duplicate of them. Basically, the rows are identical aside from the values in the columns I want transferred. The rows must remain unique. I am a newbie and have no idea how to do this. Would you please submit a basic outline and I can fill in the rest?

Thank-you very much for your time and expertise,
Kairn"

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-08-31 : 12:15:35
Okay, here's a template:
UPDATE t1
SET
t1.Field1 = t2.Field1,
t1.Field2 = t2.Field2,
t1.Field3 = (t2.Field3 + t2.Field4 + t2.Field5)
FROM
DestTable t1
JOIN SourceTable t2 on t1.PKField = t2.PKField
WHERE
t1.Field9 = t2.Field9

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -