Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Corey's random photo

Author  Topic 

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-06 : 10:22:45
Corey...

Your random photo in your sig isn't showing up any longer in my browser.

Funny it would break, I was just checking it out. I'd like to know how your ASP code serves up a different image every time it is viewed.

Sam

Seventhnight
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-06 : 12:30:50
I just got my site back up... (down for moving)... but I forgot to put the image server back up ...

I'll post some code for it tomorrow...

Corey

Co-worker on The Wizard of Oz "...those three midgets that came out and danced, the freaked me out when I was little. But they are ok now."
Go to Top of Page

Seventhnight

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-07 : 08:34:57
well the images are back... but I forgot to grab the code...

Well here's a quick overview:

First Version: The first version of the randomphoto.asp received a random name of a photo from a given category (Done with a Tree Structure in SQL ... http://www.seventhnight.com/treestructs.asp). Since the file name was provided, I opened a byte stream to read the identified file and used response.binarywrite to write it to the browser. This made it impossible to browse to an image for download (on purpose).

Second Version: As I put more pictures up, I began to run out of space, so I moved the photos to another computer and used virtual directory. This broke the byte streaming as it needed to be local. So now, I simply redirect to the random image, which means you can browse to them. (I got over the security kick ).

If you want actual code examples, let me know, and I'll email you my scripts and the asp and what not...

Corey

Co-worker on The Wizard of Oz "...those three midgets that came out and danced, the freaked me out when I was little. But they are ok now."
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-07 : 10:50:40
I wasn't aware you response.redirect(URL) a request for an image...

Say it's so...
Go to Top of Page

Seventhnight

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-07 : 14:13:15
'It's So.'

Corey

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-07 : 14:26:45
"I simply redirect to the random image"

Gordon Bennet - never tried that. We byte read the files n ASP, which has got to be dog slow.

I bet when I stroll in to tell the developers tomorrow of "my brilliant idea " they'll tell me that ByteRead was Dog Slow and they've already done that ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-07 : 16:01:05
Corey, I've noticed a new photo in the cycle. All your photos are nice, and wholesome like a rose, a baby, a nice couple, a nice couple holding a baby, etc. But this new photo seems to be a camera and tripod set up at the foot of a bed. What's up with that, ya perv?

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

Seventhnight

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-07 : 16:38:58
that was one of the first photo's I took with my camera... I was trying to test the timer

Its a chore to take a normal photo of my wife... there's no way I'd get to take any indecent ones.

I've got to get some more up there... I'm so far behind (like a 1500 or so !!!)

Maybe I can make an 'random unwholesome photo' page for you TG

Corey

Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-07 : 16:57:32
>>Maybe I can make an 'random unwholesome photo' page for you TG

That's very kind of you, but I'll continue to get my unwholesome kicks at other sites like this one: http://nikiforov.ftp-developpez.com/personnel/Photo0148.jpg

Your randomizer reminds me of my first .net project. A windows service that rotated a random windows system sound in from a wav collection everytime the sound was envoked. My library consisted of mostly Simpson wavs and Looney Tune character wavs. My cube neihbors got a kick out of it :)

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-07 : 19:59:17
Does anyone know of an ASP library that'll read an image file (jpg, gif, ...) and create a thumbnail on the fly so I don't need to do it manually?
Go to Top of Page

Seventhnight

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-07 : 20:01:29
i believe AspImage can do that... http://www.serverobjects.com/comp/Aspimage.htm

I used the older version of AspImage to do some graphing... but I haven't used this version.

Corey

Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-08 : 03:15:36
Sam I was looking for something similar for ASP.NET and discovered that there are a lot of sites that seem to explain this sort of stuff. I get the impression it's not tooo difficult to setup yourself see [url]http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=asp.net+dynamic+image+resize&meta=[/url]
and [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/articles/extend/default.aspx?pull=/msdnmag/issues/04/04/cuttingedge/default.aspx[/url]
etc.

Some of the links from google have ASP components

steve

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-08 : 05:24:27
Well Corey
Did your server down often?
Many times I noticed your sig has empty picture

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-08 : 06:25:48
We use a really handy COM object to manipulate images (resize, shrink, rotate, "stamp" and so on). It only cost a few bucks and does an excellent job of sorting out the 14MB images that people upload direct from their cameras!

I'll dig out the details if anyone is interested.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Seventhnight

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-08 : 08:05:36
Maddy - I run a 'server' out of my house... just a plan ole cpu with some server software on it . It has a tendancy to freeze up occassionally, but it doesn't matter all that much since it is just my personal site. Now, if I really cared I'd get a better server, and a better connection... or just host elsewhere

quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

We use a really handy COM object to manipulate images (resize, shrink, rotate, "stamp" and so on). It only cost a few bucks and does an excellent job of sorting out the 14MB images that people upload direct from their cameras!

I'll dig out the details if anyone is interested.

Kristen

yes please

Corey

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-08 : 11:51:12
"COM object to manipulate images"

Typical, either the price has gone up or it was more expensive than I thought; now $100. Highly recommended though.

Some demos: http://www.chestysoft.co.uk/demos.asp

Feature list: http://www.chestysoft.com/imagefile/manual.htm

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-08 : 12:03:58
corey...
write a dll that does all these stuff with images in .net
it's preety simple...
to practice your .net skills of course

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-08 : 12:07:27
That'll cost me more than $100 ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Seventhnight

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-08 : 12:59:14
Yeah... I'll probably just write my own

Any excuse will work

Corey

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-08 : 13:45:24
"Any excuse will work"

I need people who will work for any excuse - Corey, can you hop on the next plane please?!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Seventhnight

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-08 : 13:51:14
I don't think my wife and baby would appreciate that...

well..... they might ... but I'd better stick around here just in case

Corey

Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -