Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Hyperthreading - Good or Bad?

Author  Topic 

ACALVETT
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-30 : 05:31:56
Hiya,

We have quite a few SQL Servers running on servers with hyper threaded enabled processors. We have always left hyper threading on, even on our very busy servers but i've recently begun to question this due to comments i have received.

All our servers run SQL 2000 SP3a as "support" for hyper threading was added in SP3a

I`m aware of
[url]www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/SQLonHTT.doc[/url]
but
[url]http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.server/browse_frm/thread/99860c74db9d183/af9e69650569f1db?lnk=st&q=hyper+threading+%2B+SQL+performance&rnum=2&hl=en#af9e69650569f1db[/url]

has a quote from a SQL MVP stating

quote:
The problem with a HT CPU that the 2 simultaneous threads running on the CPU both contend for the *same* L1, L2 and L3 processor cache. During heavy processing, you may actually have the 2 clearing each other's cache. This results in each having to go to main system RAM to work.

I`m still hunting around for more information and am asking about in a few forums to.

So... What do you think of Hyper Threading any why?

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-30 : 07:15:29
I can think of two servers that I look after that have very similar volumes of activity. Each week we run a housekeeping task - defrag tables, delete old stale data (several million rows, about the same on both servers), rebuild stats etc. CLIENT-2 is consistently TEN TIMES as fast as CLIENT-1

CLIENT 1
========
Dell PowerEdge 1750
Win 2003 - Standard SP1
2GB RAM
2xCPU Xeon 3GHz with hyperthreading (x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5)
PERC LD PERCRAID SCSI Disk 128GB (I presume RAID5, 3 disks)

CLIENT 2
========
Dell PowerEdge 6650
Win 2003 - Standard, No SP
4GB RAM (No special provision to allocate more than 2GB to SQL)
4xCPU Xeon 3GHz with hyperthreading (x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 6)
(I'm pretty sure these have the Max on-chip cache)
Controller 0 : DELL PERC 4/DC RAID Controller (Channel 1=6 disks RAID5, Channel 2=4 disks, RAID10)
Controller 1 : Adaptec AIC-7892 - Ultra160 SCSI (Not sure what this is doing!)
The two channels have O/S + LDF and MDF

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-30 : 07:18:03
I have heard similar rumblings from other MVP's as well, it seems about 50/50 for turning it on, but everyone does a lot of testing before they make their final decision. There's really no way to know if these issues affect you unless you test and measure.

Disclaimer: I personally don't have any experience with hyperthreading, none of the servers I use have it.
Go to Top of Page

ACALVETT
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-30 : 07:42:45
Yes the more i hunt the more i find its a 50/50 thing and as such its down to individual environments.
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-09-30 : 23:55:16
We run hyper-threading on all our environments. I think most issues I've seen people have are resolved by setting max degree of parallelism to the physical number of processors. We haven't seen any issues, although we did have to perforamance tune the first few weeks we had it on. Since then, we've bee fine.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -