Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 NT Domain Acct, sql server login issues

Author  Topic 

Vivaldi
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

298 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-03 : 17:45:03
I have a NT Domain account that was setup so I could manage the access our report server will have on our database. I added the user and gave appropriate permissions to specific databases.

I can log on to the domain with this account, and see the correct databases on the DB Server and work with them per the perms i have setup.

I log back on to my machine with my credentails, open a copy of QA that has not been connected and try to connect to the database with the Domain Account's credentials, it fails. (it gives me the incorrect password "login fails" message, but I know the password is correct)

Any thoughts?

Working man's privilege, beer is.
Harsh, Life is.

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-03 : 18:08:17
Are you trying to use the login dialog on QA to enter the domain username and password? That will not work. You can only use that dialog to enter a SQL Server login and password.

If you want to use that account to connect to SQL Server, you will have to login to Windows with it.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Vivaldi

298 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-03 : 18:16:00
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones

Are you trying to use the login dialog on QA to enter the domain username and password? That will not work. You can only use that dialog to enter a SQL Server login and password.

If you want to use that account to connect to SQL Server, you will have to login to Windows with it.

CODO ERGO SUM

Huh, So, if I want my sql reporting services shared connection to utilize a domain account, I will have to have the reporting services run as the domain account? I can't pass the credentials?

Interesting. And a pain.

Harsh, Life is.

Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-03 : 22:46:31
the domain account is the user you have logged into windows as. You can use a different domain account for some applications by using the RUN AS command. This is a bit of a pain of course.

Processes that run as a service can also be started under a different user context. THis is easily changed using the services administrative control panel. Just make sure that the user you change a service to run under, has the other necessary permissions on your local machine.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-03 : 22:48:53
I didn't say that. The question you posted was about a problem connecting to SQL Server with Query Analyzer.

Security in Reporting Services is a completely different issue. I would suggest that you start by reading the Reporting Services Books Online to gain an understanding of your options.

quote:
Originally posted by Vivaldi

quote:

CODO ERGO SUM

Huh, So, if I want my sql reporting services shared connection to utilize a domain account, I will have to have the reporting services run as the domain account? I can't pass the credentials?

Interesting. And a pain.

Harsh, Life is.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Vivaldi

298 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-04 : 09:16:49
quote:

I didn't say that. The question you posted was about a problem connecting to SQL Server with Query Analyzer.

Security in Reporting Services is a completely different issue. I would suggest that you start by reading the Reporting Services Books Online to gain an understanding of your options.

CODO ERGO SUM

True, I am trying to simply set up a shared connection in reporting services, I highly doubt that the authentication mechanism to hook up to the Sql server is any different the authentication used to log on via query analyzer (and I get the same message from both).

I will do some more digging naturally, but I am betting that using credentials isn't the way to go for connecting the reports to the SQL DB's.

Thanks

Harsh, Life is.

Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-04 : 13:35:41
As I stated, they are quite different, and that is why I suggested reading the Reporting Services Books Online to gain an understanding of your options.

quote:

...True, I am trying to simply set up a shared connection in reporting services, I highly doubt that the authentication mechanism to hook up to the Sql server is any different the authentication used to log on via query analyzer...

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Vivaldi

298 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-04 : 13:57:07
quote:

As I stated, they are quite different, and that is why I suggested reading the Reporting Services Books Online to gain an understanding of your options.

quote:

...True, I am trying to simply set up a shared connection in reporting services, I highly doubt that the authentication mechanism to hook up to the Sql server is any different the authentication used to log on via query analyzer...

CODO ERGO SUM

Ok, I give. How is authenticating to my Database (data) Server (the report server is a separate box) different whether I am trying through QA, a shared connection on my machine via the designer, or a shared connection on the report server.

I have BOL open, but I haven't seen anything that gives a good explanation of ways to connect to your data from the developers designer OR the report manager.

Throw me a "bone" if you can.

Harsh, Life is.

Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-04 : 22:42:23
include the windows account of the reporting server as login of the sql server it connects to and apply the appropriate permissions

then post your update if this doesn't work

didn't read the entire post, too "textual"

HTH

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -