Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Backup SQL server to remote disk

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-04 : 08:03:46
rkinfo writes "How to set up sql server to save back up of sql server databse to remote disk on network ?
My sql server host (SQL server 2000 on windows 2000) is full and I want to start taking weekly backup to other machine on network but I am unable to see any other machine during scheduling 'recurring' backups."

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-04 : 09:01:07
Try this

Backup database Test to disk = '\\RemoteSystemName\Drive\DBName.bak'

so that it will be copied directly to Remote system

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-04 : 11:25:34
keep in mind that when you backup to a remote share you will not be able to browse to that share in Enterprise Manager to pick out a file when you attempt a restore. You will have to manually key in the path and file name for the restore.

This is not a big issue, just something to keep in mind. I suggest you do a couple of practice runs with backups/restores to familiarize yourself with the procedure.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-04 : 14:22:50
Perhaps consider using a Compressed Folder to store the backups on the machine itself? IME that saves about 50% of the disk space, and I have never had a problem with BACKUPS on compressed volume (there are some reports of problems, but I think they are very few and far between)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

bakerjon
Posting Yak Master

145 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-05 : 18:50:04
Backing up to a remote share over the network will also take significantly longer the writing to a local disk. If the database is of any size at all, this might not be a good idea. I'm not saying don't do it, but you might want to test heavily as suggested above. Also, SQLLiteSpeed is cheap...

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48013

Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-05 : 22:17:00
how about considering a local tape drive?

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -