Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Hiding the schema from testers

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-11 : 08:09:52
Jane writes "I'm a lowly sql admin, who's just been given a bizaar task. Any ideas on this?

We have webservices that use an ms sql database. The boss would like to get the whole lot microsoft certified which means sending it off to veritest for testing. He doesn't want the testing company to have access to the schema though.

Ie, he doesn't want their adminstrator to be able to view our table names, or column names, (even though they will either be restoring it from a backup, or we'll have a script run through installshield to create the database) A confidentiality agreement was what i suggested, but that's not good enough apparantly.

Can anyone suggest some method of letting them create this database on their own installation of sql, without them having admin permissions on it?

Is there any secret 'Make Table Invisible' or 'Encrypt Schema' flag that I don't know of?

It's SQL server 2000, and windows server 2003."

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-11 : 08:12:45
If they have rights to install the database on their own server, they can view anything and everything in the database. Your boss needs a reality check; if you want to keep something secret from somebody, sending them a copy of it kinda defeats that purpose.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -