Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Yet another Instance of the /3GB question

Author  Topic 

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-12 : 03:16:29
Hi all,

Running SQL Standard on Windows Enterprise.
4GB RAM.

SQL Server can use 2GB RAM, which is the maximum for standard.

Now we install another Instance of SQL Server on the box.
Apply the /3GB switch.

The first Instance allocates memory dynamically (take as much as possible up to 2GB)
Can the 2nd Instance then grab grab 1GB RAM, leaving 1GB for the OS ?

-----------------
1st Instance: 2GB
2nd Instance: 1GB
-----------------

rockmoose

ACALVETT
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-12 : 06:12:31
Why enable /3gb if you don't want a single instance to use more than 2gb?

Basically each instance of SQL can now take up to 3gb if you have set the dynamic memory to go up to 3gb. So, SQL in the configuration your describing will be constantly fighting with the OS (and other instance) for memory.

Best to determine what the max memory requirement for each instance is and the set appropriately so the sum of the two is not going to cause a fight with the OS.
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-12 : 07:37:33
Standard SQL can only use 2GB even with /3GB from what I understand.

I was thinking: /3GB
Instance 1 (dynamic allocating of memory, as much as possible, which will be max 2)
Instance 2 (max 1GB)
Leaves 1 for the OS.

Would it work that way ?
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-12 : 09:42:53
I would think that each instance will go by its own configuration settings, and take as much memory as they can. The /3GB switch seems to apply to a single instance of an application be it SQL or exchange, or sol.exe.
Go to Top of Page

ACALVETT
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-12 : 10:06:26
Standard SQL will use 3gb if you add /3gb to boot.ini assuming its configured to do so.

Configure instance one max memory for 2gb, instance two max memory 1gb and then the OS will get the rest.

I don't think you need /3gb but if you enable /3gb it causes a massive drop in available page table entries (PTE). If you then have a very busy system etc you can end up running out of PTE's which causes server lock up etc etc. Now i`m not saying don't enable if you want but initially make sure you monitor the available PTE's in perfmon. You do not want to see them below 50,000.
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-12 : 15:06:12
Thanks.

>> Standard SQL will use 3gb if you add /3gb to boot.ini assuming its configured to do so.
That's not what I know, standard can only use 2GB no matter what.
(No offense meant to you acalvett, it's just that I've heard different from other sources, eg.BOL)

>> The /3GB switch seems to apply to a single instance of an application
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55191

Maybe the pte could be an issue, I'll have to monitor that.
More on PTE:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/EXBPA/19b3c0db-3193-4d28-ab84-7bfdab7effda.mspx

The scheme with the 2 instances is to have one of them as QA.
This one would basically just be used to test upgrade scripts, plus light testing of the app during upgrade.
And verification of backup/restore procedures.
Go to Top of Page

ACALVETT
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-13 : 06:23:50
No offense taken :D

I thought it did but i can get things wrong so i've put it on my list of things to check next time i`m playing on one of our dev servers.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-13 : 12:17:17
quote:
Originally posted by ACALVETT

Standard SQL will use 3gb if you add /3gb to boot.ini assuming its configured to do so.

Standard will only use max of 2GB regardless of the /3GB switch in place or not.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-19 : 16:09:21
The way I understand is that with /3GB it would be possible to have 2 instances of sql server 2k standard.
1 using 2GB ram, and the other using 1GB ram.
(server has 4GB ram, enterprise windows server 2003)

Does anyone want to confirm / refute this ?

regards,
rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-19 : 18:29:00
quote:
Originally posted by rockmoose

The way I understand is that with /3GB it would be possible to have 2 instances of sql server 2k standard.
1 using 2GB ram, and the other using 1GB ram.
(server has 4GB ram, enterprise windows server 2003)

Does anyone want to confirm / refute this ?

regards,
rockmoose

yes, that is possible. The 2GB limitation is per process, so two instances of sql server running would be two separate processes.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-19 : 18:30:46
one thing to keep in mind about running multiple instances of standard edition is that you have to pay a server license for each instance. If this was enterprise edition, you could run multiple instances on a box but you would only need to purchase the one EE server license.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-20 : 03:29:42
Thanks ec!

quote:
one thing to keep in mind about running multiple instances of standard edition is that you have to pay a server license for each instance. If this was enterprise edition, you could run multiple instances on a box but you would only need to purchase the one EE server license.

That bugs me, originally I read this (which led me to beleive that I can have multiple standard instances):
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/faq.mspx#EQC
quote:
Q. How does licensing work with the multi-instance feature in SQL Server 2000?
A. You can run multiple instances of SQL Server 2000 on a single computer. Multiple instances are used by organizations that have several applications running on a server, but want them to run in isolation so that any problem in one instance will not affect the other instances.

Under the Processor licensing model of SQL Server 2000, you can install multiple instances of SQL Server on the same computer without having additional licenses. Under the Server/CAL model, you can install multiple instances of SQL Server on the same computer only if you use SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition. With Standard Edition, using the Server/CAL licensing model, you must have a separate license for each instance.

But:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/reskit/part2/c0461.mspx
quote:
Licensing for a Multi-Instance Configuration

SQL Server 2000 includes the ability to run multiple instances of the server software on a single server. Multiple instances are used by organizations that have several applications running on a server, but want them to run in isolation. Running them in isolation protects each from a failure on another instance. SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition Processor Licenses and Server Licenses allow you to install multiple instances of SQL Server on the same computer without requiring additional licenses. SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition supports multiple instances, but you must have a separate license for each instance.

Too bad

rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -