Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 SQL Backup Failures

Author  Topic 

alunjg
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-13 : 18:26:36
Hi all

Has anyone encountered the following error:

[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 845: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Time-out occurred while waiting for buffer latch type 3 for page (1:198064), database ID xx.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

If you have, can you let me know what solutions are available? Microsoft have suggested applying SP2, but I have SP3 already, server is configured in a typical manner with no modifications - bog standard installation. There is plenty of disk space as well.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Alun

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-13 : 20:14:32
this error indicates that your disk subsystem is too busy. What else is going on when you are performing the backup? How do you have your disks layed out?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

alunjg
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-13 : 20:33:16
Disk are layed out as Data (D), Logs (E) & backup folders on (G). We have some log shipping running on the server, with a lot of users logged in too (400 connections - & this is a slow day). Server is accessed 24/7 by users around the globe.

We are restarting the services tomorrow, in the hope that this will fix the problem. Cannot reboot during the working week as the server is quite heavily used.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-13 : 20:44:55
Try running CHECKPOINT on that database. It may take some time to finish, but it will flush all the uncommitted data to disk. It may not help, but it can't hurt either.

I'd also suggest running your BACKUP DATABASE command from Query Analyzer instead of Enterprise Manager. Shouldn't make a difference, but EM and SQL-DMO like to do funky things that just get in the way of the server.
Go to Top of Page

alunjg
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2005-10-16 : 21:50:06

A restart of the services has fixed this. Thanks for all your help guys.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -