SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 mssql backup hellppppppp :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  08:13:22  Show Profile  Visit AskSQLTeam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andy writes "Hi all,

I have been searching the net for hours now in hopes of finding an answer to my question / problem,hope you can help.

Currently i am running accpac with a mssql backend. I am tryint to create some form of backup solution for this using veritas. Now I need to have a very granular restore option. For instance i would like to be able to restore 1 feild and only one feild leaving the rest of the database untouched. Is this possible given the software i have. If so how can i accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!!!"

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  09:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if what you say is possible. Do you want to restore a single file to a time before/after the rest of the database? If so, then this is impossible, as the recovery process will roll forward any changes to keep all datafiles at the same point in time.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  11:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Won't the integrity of the database be "shot" if you restore one field?

I guess I better need to understand the problem you are wanting to solve, and then maybe I'll be able to think of a solution.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
35937 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  16:21:07  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'll need to restore the entire database to a separate database name. Then using this new database, you can pull the data from it to your original server. You can do this via T-SQL between the two databases.

Tara
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000