Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 SQL Server over VPN

Author  Topic 

elisa
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-15 : 16:40:50
Hello,
I am trying to have a workstation (outside our network) from London run a software that accesses our SQL Server 2003 in New York.

All this over a VPN.

I've already set up this user as part of the SQL Group that has access to the database, but something is not working.

When the user in London tries to run the software is immediately presented with an error, saying that the user "null" doesn't have access to the database.

I'm guessing that a connection has not been established from that workstation to our network? What else is needed in this case of connections? Is there another step I need to know in order to make sure that workstation sees and recognizes the database?

Thank you very much for your help as usual,
Elisa

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-15 : 19:16:37
You need to set the VPN account to allow vpn as AD authentication if you plan on using AD authentication. Otherwise, you will get that error every time.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-16 : 01:28:47
is AD authentication similar to windows authentication? Is this restricted to standard logins only?

quote:
Originally posted by derrickleggett

You need to set the VPN account to allow vpn as AD authentication if you plan on using AD authentication. Otherwise, you will get that error every time.

MeanOldDBA

TIA

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-16 : 21:10:40
AD authentication is active directory. You should know this. What standard logins? Standard SQL Server logins?

MeanOldDBA

Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-17 : 02:41:14
i thought the concern was why she gets the error for the group which has access
quote:

I've already set up this user as part of the SQL Group that has access to the database, but something is not working.

When the user in London tries to run the software is immediately presented with an error, saying that the user "null" doesn't have access to the database.

and you answered
quote:

I am not familiar with AD authentication, which is why i asked if AD authentication is similar to windows authentication because AD is needed for windows authentication to the sql servers

or am i mixing them up? is this a firewall issue?

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-17 : 19:30:26
AD authentication IS windows authentication if you are on a domain with active directory.

MeanOldDBA

Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-17 : 19:41:18
is the client machine windows 2000 or windows XP? I have seen this problem with windows 2000, but it has been fixed in windows XP.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-18 : 00:34:43
that was what I thought you said...

so if you're in a vpn, is it possible or have you used windows authentication to sql server? we tried before but failed and assumed that standard logins are the way to go...

quote:

AD authentication IS windows authentication if you are on a domain with active directory.

MeanOldDBA

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-18 : 09:01:58
Yes, it is possible. Is this Cisco VPN?

MeanOldDBA

Go to Top of Page

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-18 : 09:31:16
You should be able to use SQL logins in any case (if you want to). Presumably the server isn't set windows only authentication, and you've got TCP/IP protocol enabled in the server tool.

If you want to use windows authentication, you'll have all kinds of faff with domains and logins.

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-18 : 22:19:18
I wouldn't use SQL Server Authentication unless I absolutely had to use it.

MeanOldDBA

Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-20 : 22:20:11
yes it's cisco and probably i need to

i dont' want to use non-trusted connections if windows authentication is still feasible

i know that vpn encrypts the data transmitted but still, extra security won't hurt noh?

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-20 : 23:38:17
You might want to read up on secure VPN and regular VPN. If you have Cisco VPN and all the people using it have AD accounts, then you don't need to use standard security. Talk to your network guys and have them help you on this. They can setup the VPN where people are validated as AD users when they login through VPN. It's not that hard to setup. They just need to do it.

MeanOldDBA

Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-21 : 00:28:40
keyword...

quote:

They just need to do it.

MeanOldDBA

thanks derrick... i appreciate what you've shared

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -