Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 xp_sendmail with a query

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-17 : 07:44:19
Neil writes "All,
I read your explanation of XP_Sendmail and it was very good. I support GreatPlains from Microsoft and the security in it is not the greatest. If you can see the data you have full control over it. We have some users who are inadvertantly deleting data. I would like to capture the data and email me with the deleted rows. I am using xp_sendmail and for the query I am using select * from DELETED. However SQL is returning the error that DELETED is an invalid object. Can xp_sendmail not access the temp table DELETED? If not can xp_sendmail send the calue of a variable?

Thanks,
Neil"

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-11-17 : 08:30:59
GreatPlains is case sensitive isn't it? so you probably need "deleted"

"Can xp_sendmail not access the temp table DELETED?"

I don't suppose it will be in scope, no.

But either way this is a bad idea!

Stick the delete data into an "audit" table, and have a process that Emails you once an hour (say) if there are new rows in the table.

That avoids:

1) Timeout on the trigger (which may lock up the whole system, because there is a good chance that the table will be locked by the delete process at the time) when xp_sendmail has a fight with SMTP or your MX routing is having a Bad Hair Day.

2) You getting millions of emails when someone deletes the whole table

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -