Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Simple web based query analyzer needed

Author  Topic 

drewsalem
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

304 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-05 : 08:01:42
Greetings from Tahiti,

One of my users wants to query a couple of tables.

I need a web based tool that will allow one of my users to query on some tables.

All the existing tools out there appear to offer a wealth of administration bells and whistles. I just want a simple query tool that he can access via the web and not have to install on his machine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Drew

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-05 : 09:06:13
Duplicate post
http://sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58593

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

Srinika
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1378 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-05 : 15:11:21
drewsalem,

1. Do ur users know SQL (I mean to write queries as in Query Analyzer)?
If not the application may be a bit complex, the table names / field names r to be selected, the query should be built with the conditions given, users should know the effect of "OR", "AND" and brackets. Still the Query should be parsed for syntax check etc etc.

2. Do u mind users doing all SQL operations as Insert / Update / Delete / Drop Table ... in addition to Selecting ?
If not one can create a simple application using ASP, create a User with only Select priviledges (db_reader) and use ADO to give the results on a table (as a office Web Component) or as text

Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-05 : 15:56:08
*DISCLAIMER* I don't think this is a good idea in general, but if you have proper security set up it should be ok.

1. be sure that the SQL user account he uses has READ ONLY access to the tables

2. Create a simple form in ASP.NET:

1) add 3 text boxes, labelled: UserName, Password, SQL (make the SQL one big, multi-line)
2) add a button
3) add a datagrid

3. On the button's click event, simply the app execute the SQL in the text box against the database (using the username/password provided) and bind the results to the datagrid.

4. Repeat as necessary.

Voila ! A simple, ugly, web interface into SQL Server.

*DISCLAIMER* I don't think this is a good idea in general, but if you have proper security set up it should be ok.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -