Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Backup T-logs fails for copied database

Author  Topic 

SQLsearcher
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-09 : 04:45:26
Dear All

I replaced a database on Test with its counterpart on Production. The original database on Test was part of two maintenance plans. One that backs up the entire database and one that backs up the transaction log. The maintenace plan now says it cannot backup the transaction log of the new copy on Test (no big surprise). So I ran the first maintenance plan that does a complete backup. But the seconed maintenance plan (that backs up the transaction log) keeps telling me it cannot backup the transaction log. I think there is something very basic I overlook. And it will be embarrassing to me. So please be kind.

Kind regards, SqlSearcher

SQLServerDBA_Dan
Aged Yak Warrior

752 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-09 : 08:09:31
You'll need to check the recovery model. If it is not "FULL" then you cannot backup the transaction log. Also you may want to write you're own backup script because the maint plans never give any specific error messages when they fail, which makes them a big pain.

Have fun,

Daniel, MCP, A+
SQL Server DBA
www.dallasteam.com
Go to Top of Page

SQLsearcher
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-09 : 08:34:19
Dear SQLServerDBA_Dan

We are both right on spot. I am embarrassed and the recovery model did cause the problem.

Thanks a lot, SqlSearcher
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-10 : 00:40:31
You might want to look into why you have a Transaction Log backup on TEST but not on production

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

SQLsearcher
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-12 : 02:31:06
Dear Kristen

On Production all our databases' recovery models are set to Full. There are maintenance plans that backup these T-logs. During copying from Production to Test (Enterprise Manager > All Tasks > Export Data > ... > Copy objects and data between SQL Server databases.), the recovery model of the (new)target database was set to simple in stead of full. Maybe it is because the model database is set to simple.

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-12 : 04:25:29
"Enterprise Manager > All Tasks > Export Data > ... > Copy objects"

Ah, I see. I was assuming you had just done a BACKUP and RESTORE, which would have preserved the Recovery Model of the Source database. Why don't you use BACKUP + RESTORE?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

SQLsearcher
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-12 : 04:34:14
When I do a BackUp & Restore, user logins are also copied. This is bad when I copy from Test to Production. The other way it's not such a big deal. But I got used to this method. My old method was to script the source database, delete the target database, run the script and next import the data. Both ways give you a way to verify your referential integrity. During developing data might be inserted illegally (for testing purposes) and we might have forgotten to remove them.

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-12 : 14:09:34
Ah, I see [again!]

Our RESTORE script itself generates a script of the Logins in the database - complete with code to "reinstate" the user on the target server (i.e. create a User Login if not found, and a Database User if required) and to, alternatively, DROP the user from the database [i.e. if no longer required], so my preference would be to use that route, but I can see where you are coming from!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -