Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Restore database error

Author  Topic 

ninel
Posting Yak Master

141 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-09 : 11:56:16
I'm trying to restore a database and am getting the following error:

"MODIFY FILE encountered operating system error 112(There is not enough space on the disk.) while attempting to expand the physical file. Could not adjust the space allocation for file 'MyFile_Log'. RESTORE database is terminating abnormally."

What do I need to do to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Ninel

SQLServerDBA_Dan
Aged Yak Warrior

752 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-09 : 14:48:04
Sounds like you need more disk space. Are you restoring from another server and overwriting a database on this server?

Daniel, MCP, A+
SQL Server DBA
www.dallasteam.com
Go to Top of Page

ninel
Posting Yak Master

141 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-09 : 15:18:59
I am overwriting on the same server. Turns out my log file is ridiculously large. Would you happen to know how I can minimize it?

Thanks,
Ninel
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-10 : 00:38:34
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55210&SearchTerms=Why+is+my+LDF+Log+File+so+big

But a restore is going to want to set the MDF/LDF files to the size as-they-were at the time of the backup

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-10 : 13:18:03
You probably have the database set to full recovery mode and are not doing transaction log backups. Either start doing transaction log backups to lower the size and provide recoverability between full backups, or switch the database to simple recovery mode and shrink the log file. You should then be able to backup the database and restore. You'll have room because the log file is now smaller.

The other option is to buy more disk space, which is always a fun sale.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-10 : 13:42:51
If you can't make a fresh backup, to restore from, because you need to restore from THIS backup, then you could, perhaps?, restore the backup somewhere else, that has the disk space, shrink the log files, back up again, and then restore to the target machine - i.e. that restore will make a smaller database.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -