Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 writing into a Text file in a remote system

Author  Topic 

krishnan_sn
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-09 : 12:13:12
Hi,

I want to write some text into a text file. The text file will be placed in a remote system and the Sql db server is a separate system. I guess there should be some stored proc which would do the above task. but i am not aware of this. This piece of Sql statements should be called from a trigger.(when some DML operations are performed in a table then the trigger would fire and write the contents into the file.)
Can anyone guide me how can i do this. will there be any security contraints/problems in writing into a file in one system from the other system.
sample code would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Krishnan

S.Navaneetha Krishnan

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-09 : 23:55:02
Are you replacing your database with a flat file system?

Because that 's what it sounds like ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

krishnan_sn
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-12 : 01:34:29
Hi,

No. My Database will remain in same format. what i need is to append or delete the existing contents in a existing Text file and replace it with some new contents. The text file will remain in a separate system and the database will be in separate system.

Regards
Krishnan

S.Navaneetha Krishnan
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-12 : 01:38:06
You can access that file using \\SysName\$DriveName\FileName
Cant you?

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-12 : 01:56:10
Well, sorry, but I think its a bad idea. I would process the text files in batches, rather than as part of a transaction.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -