SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: SQL Server and Read-Only Databases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2000 :  10:32:09  Show Profile  Visit AskSQLTeam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This article discusses creating read-only databases to improve performance throughput. This can be especially handy in a web environment where many users want to view information.

Article Link.

izaltsman
A custom title

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2001 :  23:56:25  Show Profile  Send izaltsman an AOL message  Send izaltsman an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Cool! Didn't know that marking database read-only gets me some performance gains.

What if I make just one filegroup read only? Would that give me the same benefit for the tables, residing in that filegroup? In other words, can SQL Server disable locking on just a single file group? I am guessing it should be able to... However, how would it then handle a scenario where a table resides in a readonly filegroup, but one of its indexes is in readwrite filegroup? Would it still try to place latches on the index pages, even though the table and hence the index can't change?

Edited by - izaltsman on 07/24/2001 23:56:51
Go to Top of Page

BSovers
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  18:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a database is readonly, and nothing is logged, then why does it need an .LDF file?

Bob Sovers
Database Professional
Go to Top of Page

guerven
Starting Member

Singapore
1 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  05:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"if you go one step farther and actually make the database files read-only you can back up the database without shutting SQL Server down while the files are in use"

I tried to copy the files while they are in use. I got this message

Cannot Copy <DB>: It is being used by another person or program.

I guess we can expect a production database to be pretty busy.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15635 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  07:53:20  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Backing up a database is not the same thing as copying the data files. See "BACKUP DATABASE" in Books Online.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000