Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 Inserting a select statement into linked server...

Author  Topic 

Auric
Yak Posting Veteran

70 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-16 : 09:56:59
Hey All

I have 3 LARGE select statements in a stored procedure, they do quite a bit of data massaging and bashing to make it fit the format that one of our partners uses.

I want to insert the results from the selects into 3 tables on a linked server? How do i do that?

insert into Openquery(Link,'select * from wwwtest.Tablename') Values ( select stuff here ) doesn't work?

Select * from users where clue > 0

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-16 : 10:01:52
Try

insert into Openquery(Link,'select * from wwwtest.Tablename') select_stuff_here

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

Auric
Yak Posting Veteran

70 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-16 : 10:13:37
Insert Error: Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition.

I get that error message, I checked all the column names and they are correct, the only column I am not sending a value to is an autoincrementing ID...

Go to Top of Page

Srinika
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1378 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-16 : 11:38:28
Instead of asteric (*), try using the field list except the autoincrementing field in both tables.
Don't use the Values keyword

insert into Openquery(Link,'select b,c,d,e from wwwtest.Tablename')
select b,c,d,e from SourceTbl
Go to Top of Page

Auric
Yak Posting Veteran

70 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-16 : 14:19:50
Ended up getting the queries working, in a sense that I am no longer getting an error. but It is still not inserting properly. Stupid AS400

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -