Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Handling 5 Million Full Text Query's A Day

Author  Topic 

redbrad0
Posting Yak Master

176 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-17 : 23:02:31
I have been having a hard time with our SQL Server. It is a Quad 3.6 with 16 GB of Ram. We have general query's and maybe 5 million full text query's a day. Because Full Text is so slow we purchased a program called SQL Turbo which help us return the results from 30 seconds to under a second. Now we are having problems with SQL Turbo hitting the max number of connections. It seems that I can not get the system to run smooth and my only guess is we are trying to push this system to much but I can not seem to get a answer from anyone on what needs to be done to setup this system the correct way. We can not be the only company trying to do full text search's with millions of records that require the results back in under a second. What happens when we get 100 million records that we need to search would we need to buy Google so they can program our database? (sarcastic)

Quality NT Web Hosting & Design

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-18 : 00:03:46
I would suggest you contact Quest tech support for this. I don't think SQL turbo is widely used and you may not get a very good response here.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Posting Yak Master

176 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-18 : 17:15:01
I have been working with the Developer of SQL Turbo and its still not working 100% correct.

Basically my question is what are my other options? What else can I do to make this system work? I tried to move the database over to mySql for the searching but our unix developer could not get a good search time so I do not think we will make the switch to mySql.

Quality NT Web Hosting & Design
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-18 : 20:15:59
Full text is apparently orders of magnitude faster in SQL 2005. You might give it a shot.

more info here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql90/html/sql2005ftsearch.asp

-ec
Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 09:37:13
This is just a Wild Guess, but what about federated database servers? Can you do federated database servers with full text?
It sounds like you've got a big problem to solve that requires much hardware to be thrown at it, and a federated database solution may be your best best with SQL 2000. The 2005 upgrade suggested by EC is probably a really good bet too.

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will. Cursors, path to the Dark Side they are. Avoid them, you must. Use Order By NewID() to get a random record you will.</Yoda>
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-12-19 : 09:55:00
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelP

This is just a Wild Guess, but what about federated database servers? Can you do federated database servers with full text?
It sounds like you've got a big problem to solve that requires much hardware to be thrown at it, and a federated database solution may be your best best with SQL 2000. The 2005 upgrade suggested by EC is probably a really good bet too.

FTS won't work in a federated environment unfortunately. I think this is becuase FTS is really handled by the mssearch service and the catalogs are stored outside the database. Anyway FTS is a beast, but it really looks like MS has improved things quite a bit with SQL2K5.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -