SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Can I install SQL Server on Windows 98?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2000 :  08:02:37  Show Profile  Visit AskSQLTeam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris writes "Hi, Thank for this helpful site but I can't understand anything on here. This is not your crime :P Just I don't know anything else about SQL Server. How can I install SQL Server and Oracle on my machine? My machine (at home) 's operating system is Windows 98. Is this enough? More..I'm developing ASP pages. Has advantage for my ASP pages? Thank you."

Article Link.

Anonymous
Starting Member

0 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2000 :  17:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oracle /W98

Newbie wrt to ASP.
But not wrt to Oracle.
Try http://www.chow1.myweb.nl for installing Personal Oracle 8.1.5 (don't forget to download the patch 33110C).

Personal Oracle 8.1.5 can be downloaded for free from http://technet.oracle.com (first you've to

Go to Top of Page

Anonymous
Starting Member

0 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2000 :  10:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SQL on Windows98

Chris,
Yes you can install SQL on windows 98 however it does loose some functionality. If I remember correctly you cannot use full index searches, and I seem to remember that cubes are not supported. If these are not a problem... go for it. As far as ASP is concercerned, if you're going to write the pages then you should have an understanding of how databases work, so yes, you should install SQL
Andy

Go to Top of Page

Anonymous
Starting Member

0 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2000 :  18:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get this book

You should read Instant SQL Programming by Joe Celko. It's kind of old now, but it's the best book out there to learn SQL.

Go to Top of Page

jraddock
Starting Member

0 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2000 :  11:34:15  Show Profile  Visit jraddock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oracle+ASP=tricky

I like SQL Server with my cup of ASP, I had to implement a large scale real estate site with millions of listings in Oracle and I got to learn how much MSFT loves the Oracle platform. You will need the oracle client set up properly and get the microsoft drivers (right version!) which hook into the Oracle client in order to properly access some fields as simple as INTEGERS!

I have not seen any of the strange, twisted and bizzare problems I saw in Oracle in SQL Server. Except for forward-only recordsets which don't allow fetching fields in arbitrary order if they are of ntext, text or image type (go figure).

That's my two cents!

- JR

Go to Top of Page

Anonymous
Starting Member

0 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2000 :  09:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SQL Server/Oracle on Windows 98

You can install both SQL Server & Oracle on Windows 98. But only the desktop edition of SQL Server & the personal edition of Oracle. As u say that you develop applications using ASP, only the personal web server can be used which runs under Windows 98 which has its limitations as a web server.. You loose a lot of functionality of both SQL Server & Oracle when installed on Windows 98. In production environments, the Databases sit on a seperate server. It is not advisable to have both the database and the ASP applications on the same machine. Hope this helps you to a certain extent.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000