Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: SQL for Threaded Discussion (Part II)

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2000-12-06 : 21:32:29
webguru22 writes "Hi SQL gurus, Here's a twist on the old "threaded message board query" question: I need to come up with a data model that will let me have elements in an "outline" with numbered sub-elements." Actually a paraphrased his question quite a bit. You can see the original question in the forums though.

Article Link.

kaprice
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-30 : 20:44:57
quote:

Does this not break when a single hash value in the postkey jumps over 10?

You are doing an ORDER BY on a varchar column with data that looks like this:

If I understand the code correctly, the recordset that displays the threaded records is from the newly created temp table:

Create Table #NestedPosts (
SortID int IDENTITY (1,1),
PostID int,
PostKey varchar(200),
PostLevel int )

The sp then appends records to this temp table one at a time in the threaded order. The temp table has SortID, which is an IDENTITY column, so it will automatically number these records in the order they are placed.

The client code would then use SortID as the OrderBy column, so the 1.1.10.1 scheme you described is for NUMBERING only, not for the OrderBy.

(Of course, I could be wrong.)

-Keith
Go to Top of Page

minou30
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2009-05-17 : 20:19:02
How to translate this into MYSQL? (Just learning stored procedures in MYSQL 5.0; have yet to find a good reference guide.)

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -