SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Images and SQL Server
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
37129 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  16:39:43  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You need to put the path in double quotes or use the 8.2 format. If Program Files is the only directory that is named like that, then use progra~1 instead of Program Files. Microsoft SQL Server, you might need to use micros~1 or micros~2, just depends on how many directories you have that start with micros.

Here's an example:

xp_cmdshell 'dir "c:\program files\"'

And another example:

xp_cmdshell 'dir c:\progra~1\'

Tara

Edited by - tkizer on 08/20/2003 16:40:28
Go to Top of Page

hwdev
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  11:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you tell me if textcopy can be written to memory instead of to a File? I was told the IO of writing to a file on a large scale could have a negative impact.
Go to Top of Page

hwdev
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  13:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can textcopy save the output to memory opposed to a file? I have been told that save to a file on a large scale might create an IO nightmare. Any thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
37129 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  13:21:28  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Run textcopy /? to see what options are available. It looks like you can only save it to a file.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15676 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  19:47:18  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not going to do you any good to write it to memory, and textcopy's I/O performance is probably as efficient as you can get. Certainly faster than any ADO Stream object would be.
Go to Top of Page

hwdev
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  13:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I created a Stored Procedure and setup 'textcopy' where I could pass in all the variables if needed and it works GREAT! Next question, is there any XML DOM experts that can tell me whether I can parse the output from the 'textcopy' inside of my Stored Procedure? Or do I need to write an ASP, call the SP to create the XML file from 'textcopy', return to the ASP and referenece the Sql Server XML file and place the XML DOM code inside a JavaScript function? I am not sure where the Document Object Model (DOM) code has to go.

Thank You
Go to Top of Page

jlo
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2003 :  10:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi hwdev - I am dealing with the same issue with a vendor storing everything in a blob, your posts have been of a great help - I've been able to export a file from sql in xml but have to admit I am at a loss at how to get it to display on my asp page. The xml output is in base64 and I'd like to convert it to text ultimately. If you have any ideas????
Thanks tons!

quote:
Originally posted by hwdev

I created a Stored Procedure and setup 'textcopy' where I could pass in all the variables if needed and it works GREAT! Next question, is there any XML DOM experts that can tell me whether I can parse the output from the 'textcopy' inside of my Stored Procedure? Or do I need to write an ASP, call the SP to create the XML file from 'textcopy', return to the ASP and referenece the Sql Server XML file and place the XML DOM code inside a JavaScript function? I am not sure where the Document Object Model (DOM) code has to go.

Thank You

Edited by - jlo on 09/26/2003 16:53:40
Go to Top of Page

twiglet1975
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  07:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting article. Worth noting that using ADO.NET and XML Web Services makes it very easy to insert and retrive BLOBs.

I would disagree with the blanket statement that one shouldn't store BLOBs/images in the database and should instead link to them. This is a bad idea for any enterprise class system (i.e. used by more than 2 users!). Why? Here's a few reasons:

1. Things get moved - links go dead. So you have a superbly reliable RDBMS but your data gets buggered because you're storing stuff outside of the database.

2. No security. I have enough hassle just setting up permissions on SQL Server objects and my web services without having to set folder permissions as well.

3. Image capture and transactions- I run a school database that has photos of pupils on. My front end allows images to be captured from the pupil form via a video/web cam straight into the pupil form. If anything goes wrong when the form saves then the transaction is rolled back and nothing gets changed. Try doing that without storing images in the database - it's a lot more difficult/impossible!

4. Audit - nuff said!

SQL Server's BLOB handling is superb and it seems a waste not to use it. Admittedly it becomes a problem when storing larger objects (my images are all restricted to a max 100kb size so it's not an issue) but then there are architectural decisions that you have to make. I also have a document management system that stores Word files as BLOBs and it just wouldn't work properly if I hyperlinked to them.

A very good example of what you can do with SQL Server and BLOBs can be found on the Terra Server website(http://terraserver.microsoft.com/) which Microsoft use as a technology demo for BLOB handling.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15676 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  08:47:39  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiosity, why does everyone who derides the blanket statement "don't store images in the database" always respond with the blanket statement "TerraServer does it, so it's good"?
Go to Top of Page

amachanic
SQL Server MVP

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  17:10:15  Show Profile  Visit amachanic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An excellent example of storing BLOBs in a DBMS (though not SQL Server) is from a friend of mine, who worked for a cable company that does on-demand movies. They store encoded versions of the entire films in an Oracle database and stream them from there. Apparently they can get much higher concurrency that way than storing them in a file system. I haven't run extensive tests on SQL Server's LOB capabilities under heavy load, so I'm not sure how it would stand up to a similar scheme.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000