Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 SQL server connection refused occasionally

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-13 : 08:47:57
Johnny writes "We have a SQL server 2000 for data warehouse with 4 DUAL processors and 8GB RAM and storage on SAN.

Occasionally, the isql (more precisely, merely the command isql -E), or any other means, connecting to the SQL server get refused with error message of DB-LIBRARY 10060.

Most time, if not all, this is found being associated with bad SQL select statements issued by users using inappropriate 'group by' clause, say 100 columns under 'group by', via ODBC from MS_ACCESS on their PC. As soon as the user interrupted the data link on MS ACCESS as requested, the connections get through to other users.

The DB-LIBRARY 10060 indicates something wrong with use of bcp_columns and bcp_clmfmt, which are functions of ODBC. At this point, one may say, well, this is the ODBC driver issue, and has nothing to do with SQL server.

However, it really bothers me, because bcp is the statement of insert data into sql server, rather than select data FROM sql server. Why should bcp_ ever appear? Is it possible that the message from SQL server could be in error?

Provided that the above analysis is valid, now, the second question is that the user who submitted the bad SQL alone should get penalty, not extended to others. Does it mean a drawback of the SQL server?

I am sure that no true bcp operation is going on as the issue occurs.

I am also sure that no resources issue including cpu, memory, I/O and shortage of tempdb.

Regards

Johnny"

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-13 : 08:48:45
See what happens if they use osql, which is the new and improved command-line query tool. That may fix the problem.
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-15 : 00:34:29
In addition to using osql, you might also want to make sure your MDAC components are up-to-date on both the server and the clients. Make sure they are the SAME version. Standards sometimes solve a host of "issues".

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -