Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Connection Failure - Data Corruption?

Author  Topic 

mellamokb
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-18 : 16:52:01
Hi,

Yesterday, one of the computers on the network of our SQL server experienced a connection failure while using two specific jobs in a table containing assignments for jobs. The data interaction occurs from a Data Access Page, and from what I've learned, the nature of a DAP is such that the client not only connects to the web server but actually also establishes a direct connection to the SQL Server (we use a backend of MS SQL Server 2003). The data is still inside the tables, but on the Data Access Page, any data that was opened during the connection failure does not show up anymore from any computer.

My guess is that there was corruption of some sort on another layer beneath the actual data layer that cannot be accessed directly or viewed. To remedy this problem, I am going to try to recreate all affected records and rebuild all table ID ties manually with append and update queries. Does anyone know the actual problem or corruption that occurs during a connection failure? Is there a way to access the affected layer(s) and undo the corruption or remedy the affect so the records can be used? Is the problem with the SQL Data itself or on a layer with MS Access/MS DAP?

This data is very important and needs to be used today and was supposed to be used yesterday. If anyone could help me in this matter or provide a better way to undo the supposed corruption, it would be greatly appreciated :)!

thanks in advance,
mellamokb

PS - I don't know if this makes a difference, but other data has been changed in the same database/tables since the connection failure, so a complete reversion back to the system at that point in time would mean loss of other updated data.

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-18 : 17:14:33
There's no such product as SQL Server 2003. What's your build number? (see the start of the SQL errorlog)

Why do you think there's data corruption because a connection failed? Do you mean physical corruption of the bits on disk or some logical inconsistency of the data in your schema/business logic?

Thanks

Paul Randal
Lead Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

mellamokb
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-18 : 18:03:16
Hi,

Sorry, I'm kind of flustered right now. I meant we use MS Windows Server 2003 with SQL Server 2000 on it. I've tried copying data like I said and haven't been able to produce any results.

By corruption I most likely mean inconsistency. The data is all still there as far as I can tell. Every number, every piece of information is still existant in the SQL Database tables, and can be viewed. However, when I open a DAP I have created (a long time ago) that provides an interface for working with the data in the SQL Database tables, some of the data does not show up, as if it doesn't exist. Yet it does really exist. Users of this database cannot interact at the table level, but only at the web interface level because of all of the relationships underneath, so the web DAP is necessary.

My best guess is that some data layer underneath has an inconsistency as I would see it or the DAP has a problem, and the cause is most likely a connection failure. At mid-afternoon yesterday, one user (on the same network as the server) experienced a message relaying a connection failure. I did not see the message nor was able to view the current status of the system at the time. Since then and from that point forth only, the data issue was noted when the user went back online. Right before the point of the connection failure, the exact same jobs were being worked with and the data was all there and functional. That's why I base the problem on the connection failure.

It may or may not make a difference, but I had all of the users and I (there's only 4 computers on our network) shut down their computers and start them back up because I thought that would solve another issue we were having. That was right after the connection failure.

UPDATE: I just tried to access the data from another page (an ASP page) on a separate project from the page the users use. On that page, the data loads up fine; the issue must be with MS Access or the MS DAP. If you have any ideas of any sort, please let me know! But for now, I might just see if I can get the other project working...

thanks,
mellamokb
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-18 : 18:08:26
Sorry - I don't know anything about higher levels in the stack. You should post to one of the less specialized forums.

Thanks

Paul Randal
Lead Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

mellamokb
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 16:31:38
Thank you for your responses . I have a few leads to go on now, as I had somebody came in that knew more about the issue than I did. I think I can take it on and figure things out from here.

thanks,
mellamokb
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -