Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Reporting Services parameter question

Author  Topic 

gispro
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-19 : 08:55:50
I hope this is a suitable forum for questions regarding Reporting Services. Otherwise please advise.

-----

In our application the result of a (long) complex query is stored as a temporary table with base table records ID's. The full result set may not be stored for security reasons.

The result are easily re-generated by issuing this query:

Select * From BaseTable where ID In (Select ID from TempIdTable)

in the application, and it works fine.

In RS, I would like to use the same setup, but I haven't been able to find a way to pass the TempIdTable name as a parameter of the report.

Is it possible at all in MS/SQL 2000 ? And if so, how ?

--
GisPro

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-19 : 09:09:22
You need to use Dynamic SQL

Exec('Select * From BaseTable where ID In (Select ID from '+@tableParam+')')

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

gispro
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 04:43:02
Yes, I know about Exec, it is how I use it currently.

But is it possible to use it in Reporting Services ?

--
GisPro
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan

22864 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 04:49:45
I am not sure about that. Cant you use Stored Procedure that has the Dynamic SQL and design report based on that sp?

Madhivanan

Go to Top of Page

gispro
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-23 : 09:32:26
Ok, I just (after years of using MS/SQL) discovered the existence of functions that return a table/resultset ;-)

How do I get such a function to return the result of this query :

Select * From BaseTable where ID In (Select ID from TempIdTable)

when given the table name for "TempIdTable" as an argument ?

I've tried this sofar

Create Function fnGetData ( @tabnam varchar(100) ) return table as
return ( Select * From BaseTable where ID In (Select ID from TempIdTable) )

But I can't get it to work with an "exec('select ...')" in place of the hard-coded stament above.

It would surely solve my problem with dynamic reports, so is this possible ?

--
GisPro
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan

22864 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-23 : 23:59:55
Dynamic SQL is not allowed inside a Function

Madhivanan

Go to Top of Page

gispro
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-24 : 14:29:12
Thanks for putting that mis-notion to rest madhivanan, although it does send me back into the wilderness :..-(

--
GisPro
Go to Top of Page

decentviv
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-27 : 09:02:29
Hey i am also new to reporting services.
I am using Stored Procedures in Sql Reporting Services.
This SP has some parameters and based on these parameter's value Final query is being created at run time. But when i use this SP in VS.Net Reporting Services as dataset then it doesnt show its fields. My procedure is as below :

e.g.

CREATE PROCEDURE usp_RegistrationBWDates @Name Char(100)
AS

DECLARE @Query VARCHAR(1000),
@Add char(100)

SET @Add = "where u_user_id = " + @Name
SET @Query = "SELECT * from tbluser " + @Add

EXECUTE (@Query)

Go

This works fine when i run in in Sql Query analyser & returns records but when we use This Stored Procedure in VS.Net to generate any new Report it doesnt return its in fields. In Data View i open DataSet Properties -> fields tab then no fields are coming with respect to this SP.

Please help me out, i am really stuck up.

Go to Top of Page

gispro
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-27 : 09:48:35
Hi *viv, and welcome to the threadmill :-)

Isn't the problem due to missing quotes around your @name parameter ? I.e. 'thisismyname' instead of thisismyname

However, I think you can transfer such scalar parameters directly to the report via http. Just name them in the report parameters (I think), and the report'll prompt for the value unless it's provided.

--
GisPro
Go to Top of Page

decentviv
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-30 : 00:01:33
HI GisPro,
Thanks for your reply. But this is not the case, SP is running fine in when i run it separately and Parameter is of numeric type so i dont think single quote is required in that case.
But when i attach this SP with an dataset (report) it doesnt show me the list of fields in reporting services. as these fields are not visiable in the report so i am not able to create report from this SP.

-Viv
Go to Top of Page

gispro
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-30 : 03:30:38
Hi Viv,

Oh, I assumed "name" was a text since it's given as a char parameter. If it's a number, quotes are not needed.

Does it work in RS with a fixed value for the @Name parameter ?

I'm currently having trouble connecting the report parameter to the sp parameter, but a fixed value works. I.e. (in your notation) this would work : EXEC usp_RegistrationBWDates @Name = 5

--
GisPro
Go to Top of Page

decentviv
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-30 : 06:31:28
HI GisPro,
The example i have posted in not the real one in my report i have 6 parameters and based on these parameters i am creating my query dynamically at run time from different table (i.e. Start date, end date, user ... ) if any parameter is not being passed in SP then query changes.

SP is running fine in when i run it separately that means when i run it i.e EXEC usp_RegistrationBWDates @Name = 5 it runs fine But when i attach this SP with an dataset (report) it doesnt show me the list of fields in reporting services. as these fields are not visiable in the report so i am not able to create report from this SP.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-30 : 07:55:14
Try creating a # temp table in your stored procedure, insert into the temp table with the dynamic SQL, and then select from the temp table to return the result set to Reporting Services.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

gispro
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-30 : 08:30:39
Hi Viv,

I did get my report to work - finally - but a few problems along the way. I finally found the dialog box where I could switch from normal query to stored procedure (the "..." button beside the dataset dropdown).

One problem was the missing fields, as in your case, as it seems the fields may get lost when switching from query to sp. I entered them manually under the Fields tab.

Then there was the report parameter setting, but I finally got that worked out.

Then the data didn't output, and that seems to be a catch22 problem: not a query => no fields, no fields => no query. It's apparently a known problem.

The work-around - according to the found faq online - seems to be to fake a query to get VS in line, which I think I did first time around, but I'll try it off course.

--
GisPro
Go to Top of Page

decentviv
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-30 : 08:34:45
Even i tried this Temporary table method
i.e. Select Field1, Field2 INTO #Tmp From TableName
and after that : Select Field1, Field2 From #Tmp

and then associated this SP to Report's Dataset but still it is not showing any fields in my report.

Go to Top of Page

decentviv
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-30 : 08:47:10
We have one more way to add fields manually in report by 'Adding New Field' option from field tool bar, where we have to specify Field's Name & its Associated Database Field's Name, but this method also not worked. As we refresh our dataset in VS.net all added fields get deleted. So this also not working for me

:-(

Go to Top of Page

gispro
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-30 : 17:16:48
Hi Viv,

I think your question was ahead of me initially, as it seems I'm now stuck at the same point you are. :-(

With no idea on how to remedy it, except maybe by looking into the raw RDF XML code.

I do have a connection to an expert in US, and if he can solve it for me, I'll post it here for you as well.

--
GisPro
Go to Top of Page

decentviv
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-31 : 01:07:30
Thnx GisPro. Please do post me if you get the solution for this.
Go to Top of Page

gispro
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-01 : 07:24:23
Hi Viv,

I've found the problem to be an entirely VS.net GUI problem, not a Reporting Services problem.

When switching data source from "text" (a view or an "exec ...") to "stored procedure", VS.net looses the entire Fields collection. When opening the report as XML, the Fields collection under Datasets/Dataset is entirely missing.

If you create a new report with the same original data source (view or exec), and copy the entire Fields collection from its XML into the first report's XML, it works ! Preview as well as deployment.

Entering fields manually in the Dataset dialog Fields tab do produce a Fields collection, but the format is all wrong, and thus doesn't work when previewed/deployed.

The US expert hasn't returned to me yet, but I've informed him of the above conclusions. He may suggest a better solution than the XML copy'n'paste method.

--
GisPro
Go to Top of Page

decentviv
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-01 : 22:54:46
Thanks for your cooperation & the valuable time you spent for us. I was continuously tracking the problem since last two days and finally we got the solution.

I am concluding the solution in following steps:

1. Create Dynamic Query based on parameter’s value

2. Insert result set cursor into a Temporary table ( Create Temporary table in the beginning of SP and use insert into #T Select field1, field1 from table )

3. Select data from Temporary table in the end of proc (Select * from #T)

4. Bind this SP with Report’s Dataset.

5. Now all the fields are coming in report.

So this way things are going in right direction for us. So once again thanks for your help.

Cheers
-Vivs
Go to Top of Page

chumsat
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 10:44:01
I have a question like, if i dont know how many columns will generate from dynamic query, then how can i create a temporary table?

Let me know is there any option for creating temporary table without knowing how many columns?
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -