Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 trouble starting the SQL Server Enterprise Manager

Author  Topic 

ujjaval
Posting Yak Master

108 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-19 : 18:04:21
I am using SQL Server 7.

Till yesterday my SQL Server Enterprise Manager was working fine. But yesterday evening suddenly it stopped working. Now, if I start SQL Server Enterprise Manager, I am getting following error message:

----
MMC cannot open the file c:\mssql7\binn\SQL Server Enterprise Manager.MSC

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.
------

I looked up into my installation directory and the file exist. It is running on my personal computer. And as far as I know, I didn't change the access rights to the file by myself.

Any suggestion to make this working again???

Thanks in advance.

Ujjaval

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-19 : 18:05:38
It sounds like you'll need to reinstall the client tools. Have you tried rebooting, just in case?

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-19 : 18:12:42
I have seen this happen, and was able to fix it by copying the file Enterprise Manager.MSC from another machine. It is easier to try than re-installing the client tools.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

ujjaval
Posting Yak Master

108 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-19 : 18:25:50
I haven't got another machine with SQL Server installed. So, I guess I am gonna have to reinstall it again.

Thanks for that.

But any guesses, why this happens?
Go to Top of Page

ujjaval
Posting Yak Master

108 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-19 : 18:47:00
I reinstalled SQL Server. But it gave me the same error message again.

Too bad, reinstallation didn't work. Now, what can I try to make it working again?? anybody any idea??

pls.

Thanks
Ujjaval.
Go to Top of Page

ujjaval
Posting Yak Master

108 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-22 : 17:22:54
just to add last comment,

my enterprise manager is now working. all i did, is that I deleted my profile on my machine.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -