Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - SQL Server 2005/Yukon
 Install problem

Author  Topic 

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 05:08:02
quote:
SQL Server Setup failed to obtain system account information for the ASPNET account. To proceed, reinstall the .NET Framework, and then run SQL Server Setup again.

-- This is a new test workstaion, clean install of Win XP Pro. IIS is installed, all windows updates, including .NET Framework 2.0.

Any ideas?

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 06:07:13
Which edition is it? Enterprise won't install onto XP pro, don't think standard will either actually.

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 08:34:05
It's Standard.

I see my default workstation has the ASPNET user. Problem seems to boil down to why the recently gen'ed workstation does not have user: ASPNET.
Go to Top of Page

evbstv
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-02 : 09:49:00
I got the same problem while creating a fresh VM for trial purposes. I got around it by installing the Framework 1.1, although its not needed.
Go to Top of Page

penumatsa
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

289 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-10 : 08:44:24
You can install SQL Server 2005 Standard on windows XP.

Are you installing SQL Server on your system with admin previlages? I mean are you logging into your system as administrator?

suresh penumatsa
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-10 : 10:32:35
I should have posted back sooner. After rebuilding Win XP Pro a second time, I made SURE that all the .NET Framework 1.1 UPDATES were installed before allowing .NET Framework 2.0 to be installed.

It took a little time, but it works fine now.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

drokaten
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2006-02-20 : 16:01:47
I had an entirely different solution.

My solution was the IIS configuration.

Situation:
Upgrade from a production win 2000 server to win 2003.
Installing: MSSQL Server Standard Edition 2005 (although enterprise will almost certainly behave the same way)

Identical Error message as the original poster detailed:
SQL Server Setup failed to obtain system account information for the ASPNET account. To proceed, reinstall the .NET Framework, and then run SQL Server Setup again.

Solution:
A previously installed website app had reconfigured IIS to run in "IIS 5.0 isolation mode"

The default for IIS 6.0 is to be running in "worker process isolation mode"

Go to Start>Programs>Administrative Tools>Internet Information Services Manager

Right click the "web sites" folder and select properties

select the "service" tab and under the "isolation mode" header - CLEAR the checkbox "Run WWW service in IIS 5.0 isolation mode"

If this is your problem - Removing and replacing the IIS services from add remove programs WILL NOT fix it - the configuration for the IIS server remains intact (although you will likely accidentally blow up an exchange server if its on the same machine because you'll likely accidentally remove the SMTP service which is under the web server)

More Explicit instructions on how to change the mode in the following Technet Article:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/ed3c22ba-39fc-4332-bdb7-a0d9c76e4355.mspx

If you can't locate it at that link anymore - search for the following headings:

IIS 6.0 Documentation > IIS 6.0 Operations Guide > Server Administration Guide > Configuring Servers for Applications
Configuring Isolation Modes (IIS 6.0)
Go to Top of Page

ydb1md
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2006-03-06 : 17:11:20
I just had the same error and problem. To correct the error (in IIS 5.1) I had to go into the Authentication Control options and uncheck the option to "Allow IIS to control password."
Go to Top of Page

mmolinari
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-24 : 11:08:45
I had the same error when installing SQL 2005 DevEd on a Win-XP Pro machine. .Net 2.0, IIS and Visual Studio 2005 had all been installed on the fully patched system. However, the ASPNET user is not automatically created during any of these and thus not present when you try to install SQL Server.

My solution was to run "aspnet_regiis -i" on the command line which created the ASPNET user and the SQL Server install then completed without problems.
Go to Top of Page

mmolinari
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-24 : 11:14:32
I had the same error when installing SQL Server 2005 DevEd on Win XP-Pro. This was a fresh and fully patched O/S with .Net 2.0, IIS, and Dev Studio 2005 installed. None of these however created the user ASPNET (not even after a reboot).

My solution was to run "aspnet_regiis -i" on the command line which created the ASPNET user and the SQL Server installation then ran just fine without complaint.
Go to Top of Page

swilliamson
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2006-03-24 : 13:02:33
Running aspnet_regiis -i worked for me also.

Scott Williamson
AVP-Systems Analyst
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -