Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Querying the transaction log at SQL Server 2000

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 08:40:00
Luciano Iank writes "Hello SQLTeam.

We are facing some difficulties with one customer of an old system of ours.
This system manages a number of requests it can process in a table. Whenever this number gets too low, the custumer has to buy some licenses from us in order to continue using the system.
This information is stored in a table that has weak criptografy, with 3 columns holding the information about the license number, the request number and the key number. There's a fourth column with a columnguid number.
There's no unique constraint for the request and the key number, hence, one could theorically insert duplicated keys and request numbers to get new licences through SQL Server utilities.

Given this situation, it has been about 6 months since they last bought licenses from us and they're still running the system, as we have checked this.
We suspect they might be inserting new entries at this control table by hand through the Query Analizer.
We're going to do some small checks and run some queries at their database in order to determine database grow and other data and we'd like to add within our queries some commands to check if there were any inserts at that table after a given date.
To accomplish such task, I've read about the DBCC log command, but I noticed I couldn't filter the result for one table only in order to shorten the query time and only retrieve the information that matters for us.

I need some suggestions on how I could do this query or retrieve such information using TSQL commands.
We won't be able to run third part programs there to do this log analisys for us.

They're running SQL Server 2000 enterprise edition over a Windows 2000 server.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Best regards,

Luciano Bueno Iank
Trama Software."

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 10:54:19
Are they smart enough to detect, and work around, a trigger on that table that does something else? (Sends you a notification email, twiddles a registry entry, records the modified data [or date] somewhere else in an Audit Table, something like that?)

We tend to do this with an extra column that is the result of a one-way encryption, so that the other columns cannot be modified, or new rows inserted, unless you have access to the one-way-encryption - which would be buried within some compiled application

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -