Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Condensing List of Numbers

Author  Topic 

sureshot
Yak Posting Veteran

72 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 14:07:45

I'm looking to convert an ordered list of rows coming from a query that contain a number into a condensed format with hyphened ranges.

ex) select * from numberlist

=>"1-3, 5, 7"

So I'm considering either writing a UDF with TSQL or with SQL 2005 CLR to do create this string. This is a high load system so regardless of which way, I'm also strongly considering running the code batched offline to put the string in a column.

Any ideas on a UDF? I'd prefer to not use CLR if I don't have to.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 14:09:05
Why not return the values to the application, then have the application format the data as needed?

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

sureshot
Yak Posting Veteran

72 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 17:04:58
That's what going on now and it's a second pass at the data plus extra transfer to send all the rows down when all I really care about is this string.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 17:25:33
It will be inefficient to do this in the database. Formatting in the application as you are currently doing will perform better. T-SQL isn't meant for this type of operation, although it could do it. Two passes at the data is not inefficient as the first past is in the database and the second is in the application. Returning the data as the string would not benefit performance unless we are talking about a huge number of rows, such as 1-1000000 with most of the numbers being present in the list.

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2006-01-20 : 21:52:37
Maybe this will give you some ideas http://www.nigelrivett.net/FindGapsInSequence.html

-----------------
'KH'

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -