SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Can I Backup Across the Network?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2000 :  17:03:08  Show Profile  Visit AskSQLTeam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alex writes "Every night I dump my db to a file using a scheduled backup process. I know this is an elementary question, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the backup to write to a file on another machine. My backup to a local disk protects me from stuipd human errors, but obviously if there's a hardware problem on the machine I'll be in bad shape. Right now I copy the backup file manually. There has to be a better way. I am running SQL Server 7 with the latest service packs."

Article Link.

Anonymous
Starting Member

0 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2000 :  14:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answering my question...

Thanks very much for posting and answering my question.

I'll definitely set up an automatic copy. It will get the job done, and that's all I really care about.

Also, it's nice to know that I'm not overlooking something obvious.

Alex

Go to Top of Page

Praj
Starting Member

0 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2000 :  04:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Praj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Network Backups

Hi

There are two ways in which you can run network DB backups.
Map a network drive and use that drive letter to backup to or create a backup device using the UNC name of the destination server. The only thing I would say is be careful as this will hammer your network if you have a very large database

Go to Top of Page

sqlguru
SQLTeam CoFounder

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2000 :  11:06:56  Show Profile  Visit sqlguru's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Graz musta been smoking the crack...

Of course you can backup over the network. I prefer to use UNC paths because mapping drives under SQL Server can cause some weirdness (Hmm... maybe an article on that).

My favorite method is to not even muck with backup devices:

BACKUP DATABASE Foo TO DISK = '\\myserver\myshare\foo.bak' WITH INIT

Bam! Network backups.

As for Praj's warning about hammering your network, this is pretty much true, especially if you have a server with fast disks. If SQL Server can saturate the network link, it will, and the rest of your network may suffer as a result, especially if you're on a non-switched ethernet.

SQLGuru

Go to Top of Page

Anonymous
Starting Member

0 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2000 :  07:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Network Backup

One thing to remember when attempting to do network backups is that you must have SQL Server configured to run as a user with network access. If you let SQL Server run using the System Account, it will not have any network access.

Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

USA
4137 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2000 :  12:37:17  Show Profile  Visit graz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, it musta been the crack

Ok, it seems I was smoking the crack. But it was the good stuff :)

Go to Top of Page

Anonymous
Starting Member

0 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2000 :  10:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Backup across novell network?

I have had success backing up across an NT network using UNC by I have had problems doing so over a novell network. Using the UNC gives me a "Cannot find specified path error"

Any ideas on how to do this.

JGR

jradgowski@csesoftware.com

Go to Top of Page

Anonymous
Starting Member

0 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2001 :  07:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

>There are two ways in which you can run network DB backups.
>Map a network drive and use that drive letter to backup to or >create a backup device using the UNC name of the destination server. >The only thing I would say is be careful as this will hammer your >network if you have a very large database

What if the remote server can't access any shared disks on our servers our vica versa? Our remote SQL is only reachable through SQL, other traffic is blocked by a firewall...

Frank

Go to Top of Page

bvzhong
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2001 :  01:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thre is problem with backup to a network storage if the database base file is greater than 2 gig. The limitation is due to the design of Windows NT/2000 even it has problem with UNIX systems. Surprisingly, Win 2k native backup/restore utility has the same problem. The best way is using Veritas backup/restore software.

DBAXP

Go to Top of Page

im1dermike
Posting Yak Master

222 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  13:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old topic, but... How can you select a network location when you're backing up through a maintenance plan?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
36832 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  13:51:05  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can't but perhaps you can manually type it in.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Database maintenance routines:
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/archive/2004/07/02/1705.aspx
Go to Top of Page

ilimax
Posting Yak Master

Bosnia and Herzegovina
164 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  11:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok ... I have same problem. I found how I can add network (maped drive) location. But, I still have error;
Under Log I see error "Operating system can not specified path" ...I double checked path, and it is correct.
Does anybdody have idea what is wrong?
Go to Top of Page

bmw110001
Starting Member

India
1 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  07:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm also getting error Access Denied also i have added users on the folder with full permissions,

Please help to resolve the issue.

Nikhil Bhardwaj
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000