Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - SQL Server 2005/Yukon
 remote connection error SQL2005

Author  Topic 

7cuttlass1
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2006-01-30 : 13:18:11
I am trying to connect to a remote 2005 SQL server “A” from my 2005 SQL Server Management Studio on a different network. I have opened up port 1433 on the remote server A. I have made sure that “Allow remote connections to this server” is checked on the remote server properties under connections. I have also chosen “Using both TCP/IP and named pipes” under Remote Connections in the SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration.

I am using \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sqlservername and user sa to connect. I get the following error: “An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to the SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 5 – Invalid parameter(s) found) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error:87)”

If I take out the \\ from the server path I get an error that the server not found. So I think I am getting to the server.

I have run SQL profiler and there is no event or failed login on the remote server when I try to connect to SQL server A. SQL Server A is on Windows2003 with all current patches. I have tried connecting from Windows XP pro and Windows2003 server.

Is this a network issue, Windows2003 issue, or a SQL issue?

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-06 : 03:41:36
same problem here...

anyone can spare some ideas? this sql2k5 is killing me...

here's what i've got:

1. protocols: both for tcp/ip and named pipes enabled (remote and local connections used)
2. mixed authentication mode
3. named instance created
4. able to check the surface area configuration and server configuration
5. can't get into the system via management studio

any help will be greatly appreciated...

TIA

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-06 : 04:48:43
Are you connecting locally or remotely?

If it's a remote connection, check the sql browser service, this one wasn't running on one of our dev boxes, stumped us for ages.

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-06 : 19:34:52
hmm... i tried that yesterday but no effect, today i restarted the browser and it worked...

weird...

anyways, thanks moo

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -