Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Timeout!

Author  Topic 

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-03 : 14:48:44
Some of my users have suddenly started getting a timeout error when trying to use our application and I have no idea why.

The machines are running Win 95, with an Access 97 SP2 based client. The tables in Access are linked to SQL Server 7 using ODBC.

It's definitely not a network issue as I can ping anything I want including the SQL server box from affected machines.

These particular machines are all on a Token Ring network in the same building. At some point today this went down. The datacomms guys who fixed it said that something old had caused the issue by simply being put on the network but they weren't sure what exactly that was. These guys know what they are talking about i.e. they are seperate to my old nemesis.

It was after that when this timeout issue started BUT not all of the token ring machines were affected. Some can connect.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions at all then I can take a look on monday.

The only other thing is that the machine I looked at had a load of screensavers downloaded and installed which makes me suspicious.

Many thanks in advance

steve

-----------

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-03 : 15:37:18
Are you able to use profiler to see how long it is taking to execute the query? Maybe you've gone beyond your timeout's all the sudden with an increase in data?

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will. Cursors, path to the Dark Side they are. Avoid them, you must. Use Order By NewID() to get a random record you will.</Yoda>
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-03 : 15:56:28
Start SQL Profiler (send the results to a table). Have the user reproduce the problem. Stop SQL Profiler. Then:

SELECT Duration, TextData
FROM YourTraceTableName
WHERE TextData IS NOT NULL AND Duration >= YourAppTimeOutValue
ORDER BY Duration DESC

Based upon what TextData shows, you will need to determine the next course of action. It could just be to increase your timeout value, however I wouldn't recommend that. It could be that you need to add indexes, fix the query so that it has a better execution plan, update statistics, dbcc dbreindex, recompile the stored procedure, etc...

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-04 : 06:18:49
"Token Ring network"

Blimey! Folk still use them, eh?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-04 : 15:27:13
Thanks Michael and Tara I'll take a look on monday at what you suggest.

Kristen - don't forget this is public money

steve

-----------

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-05 : 13:58:30
"don't forget this is public money"

Wasted ... again ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-06 : 03:10:19
quote:
Wasted ... again

In this case not! I'm reliably informed that token ring is far more reliable than ethernet, it's just that ethernet became popular and very cheap which is why even we will be ripping the token ring out sooner or later. Anybody want to buy a Betamax?

steve

-----------

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-06 : 03:31:42
"In this case not"

So its as fast as 100Mb Ethernet is it? And there's GigaBit stuff too is there??

Even in its day IBM's Token Ring was vastly outpaced by Token passing systems (that doesn't sound like the right term - what I meant was the thing that let you tag your packet onto the end of the "train" of packets as they came past, rather than having to work your turn for the Token)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-06 : 03:52:08
Also refer this
http://vyaskn.tripod.com/watch_your_timeouts.htm

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-06 : 05:58:00
quote:
So its as fast as 100Mb Ethernet is it?

They do 100Mb Ethernet!! When did that come out?

More seriously, I'm no expert on this sort of stuff but I understand that when it says 4Mb it means it and not somewhere around half that on a good day if no-one else happens to be using it.

From what I recall the packet size is bigger. Always important I find.

steve

-----------

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-06 : 06:02:58
"From what I recall the packet size is bigger"

I don't think anything that calls itself a "token" can be in Linford Christie's Lunch-Box league, eh?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-06 : 06:04:36
Going back to the original issue - this is really bizzare.

One of the users confirmed this morning that they still couldn't get into the system. i.e. a server reboot by my network friends at the weekend hadn't sorted this issue.

An hour or so later I am ready to do the trace as suggested. So I ring her up and aks her to try to get into the system. She gets in fine!! I'm the hero of the moment. I almost didn't have the heart to tell her that I had done nothing.

I'm off to look at the profiler table now - with a bit less pressure than before. Thanks again to all who offered advice.

steve

-----------

Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-06 : 06:07:02
quote:
I don't think anything that calls itself a "token" can be in Linford Christie's Lunch-Box league, eh?

Hope Jen's not reading this thread. You'll corrupt her

steve

-----------

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -