Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Restore of 20 gb .bak

Author  Topic 

dba123
Yak Posting Veteran

90 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-20 : 23:37:31
I have a 20gb backup of a database that I'm trying to restore from a SQL Server 2000 DB to my new SQL Server 2005 DB on my new server. This restore is taking forever. How can I speed up the process?

The server is an HP with :

3.6 Xeon Hyperthreaded Processor

2 GB RAM

or is this just expected for a database of this size to take over an hour to restore?

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-21 : 00:34:37
are you restoring from a network share? are you restoring from a file that is on the same disk as the database datafiles? How are your disks configured?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-21 : 04:01:14
This will have more dependency on your disk architecture than anything else. If you're finding it's taking an excessive time consider improving your hardware setup.

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1168 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-21 : 05:27:39
Is the backup a single file, or multiple files? I recall getting performance improvements at a previous client when having the backup across multiple files (we had a 180 GB db back then).

Further to Eyechart's question - you don't want to do this across a network (in my experience).

Ideally you want to be restoring from "drive A" to "drive B" - and if that's a SAN, hopefully those aren't charing disks...

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Chaos, Disorder and Panic ... my work is done here!
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-21 : 08:07:34
Perhaps the original database had LOADS of spare slack space - SQL Server will re-create all that slack and then restore the database into it. It may also be a backup from something with a huge transaction log which had not been cleared down ... I've known restores from those scenarios to take much longer than one would expect

If that's likely you might want to consider getting at the original database and "shrinking it" and then backing it up - assuming that that is possible (and taking into account the normal caveats about shrinking production databases!)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -