Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 SQL Server Service Manager?

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-21 : 08:51:11
Kelly writes "Do you guys happen to know what this is for? I have an icon at the bottom
right of my screen that when I right click on it, it tells me it's SQL
Server Service Manager, and if I just place my arrow over it with out
clicking it always tells me "Not Connected" do you know what this is for?
and should it be connected?
thanks in advance for your help."

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-21 : 09:01:14
It's your local database engine, it controls the services for SQL Server..
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-21 : 09:05:09
From Books Online
quote:
SQL Server Service Manager
SQL Server Service Manager is used to start, stop, and pause the Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000 components on the server. These components run as services on Microsoft Windows NT® or Microsoft Windows® 2000 and as separate executable programs on Microsoft Windows 95 and Microsoft Windows 98:

SQL Server service
Implements the SQL Server database engine. There is one SQL Server service for each instance of SQL Server running on the computer.

SQL Server Agent service
Implements the agent that runs scheduled SQL Server administrative tasks. There is one SQL Server Agent service for each instance of SQL Server running on the computer.

Microsoft Search service (Windows NT and Windows 2000 only)
Implements the full-text search engine. There is only one service, regardless of the number of SQL Server instances on the computer.

MSDTC service (Windows NT and Windows 2000 only)
Manages distributed transactions. There is only one service, regardless of the number of SQL Server instances on the computer.

MSSQLServerOlAPService service (Windows NT and Windows 2000 only)
Implements SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services. There is only one service, regardless of the number of SQL Server instances on the computer.

----------------------------------
'KH'

It is inevitable
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -