Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Database Server Sizing

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2000-11-24 : 16:08:27
Ascii255 writes "I am trying to create a site, which users can save their bookmarks upon registration . . . Lets say the site has 100k registered users, each cheking in daily. That means 100k queries made each day, among 2M records (assuming an avg user has 20 bookmarks). It is like one query/sec. What kind of hardware is adequate for that kind of process?"

Article Link.

seabarak
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2002-01-12 : 16:30:18
Dear Ascii255,

What you should do is create a third table, called "TB_URLCategories", for example, in which you will store a URL_ID and Cat_ID for each category a URL belongs to.

The basic idea is that you should not be duplicating any data ( category names or URLs), and you should definately not be storing IDs in comma delimited strings.

Instead, by having a third table, when a URL needs to be entered into more than one category, the insert process would do the following:

1. Insert the URL into the TB_Url table (if it doesn't already exist in there) and get the URL's new URL_ID.

2. For each category the URL belongs to, insert the URL_ID and Cat_ID into the third table.

Then, when you want to find all URLs in Category X you would simply:

SELECT [Fields you want to select go here] FROM TB_Url
WHERE URL_ID IN (SELECT URL_ID FROM TB_URLCategories WHERE Cat_ID= [Cat_ID goes here])

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Barak

quote:

Url & Category <P>Ok, I think I got what you said. I have a related question. I have two tables. First TB_Category which stores information about categories. The second one is TB_Url which stores information about adresses. TB_Url has a column called Cat_ID. My problem starts here. Each url can be an element of 2 or more categories. Instead of keeping a row for each category for the same Url, I decided to make Cat_ID a varchar, and insert the categories as ',12,'. So when I have multiple categories it goes like ',12,13,19,59,'. And in my search it goes like 'where cat_ID like ',12,'. But this method is hard to update. Which is better? Having multiple rows for the same Url (this might involve keeping the Url info in a different table, and just keeping UrlID and CatID in a table and making a triple join) or the string search I created. Which one is more adventagous when numbers and DB size grows large.
I'd be glad if you reply. Thanks

Ascii255

[url][/url][url][/url][url][/url]
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -