Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Why would we use SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT??

Author  Topic 

under2811
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

366 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 13:02:51
Hi..
I have basic level question..
Why would we use SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT in a SQL Server 2000 query?

T.I.A

Papillon

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 13:12:23
The only time that you need it is if you have an ORDER BY in a view.

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 13:12:43
good question. Why would you do that?
Go to Top of Page

under2811

366 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 13:25:23
Hi..Tara..

It is not sufficient using only select statement in view with order by clause??

T.I.A

Papillon
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 13:36:25
Why not try creating one in Query Analyzer and seeing what you get? You'll learn more by trying things out. Here is an example of what to try:

CREATE VIEW TestView
AS
SELECT name
FROM sysobjects
ORDER BY name
GO

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

under2811

366 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 13:49:23
thanks tara..i got it..... :) :)

Regards

Papillon
Go to Top of Page

cshah1

347 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 14:11:47
I always wondered why view can't have an order by clause within its defintion?, may be a view is a "virtual table" and in a table there is no ordering of the rows...
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 15:15:45
why not select from the view and then use ORDER BY.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 15:17:39
quote:
Originally posted by eyechart

-ec

I've never understood why people don't do that. I just hate seeing SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT in views. It seems so pointless.

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

under2811

366 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 15:36:04
Hi..Tara..

If i created view and if i want to insert huge recds from that view into table n my view contains select top 100 percent with order by clause..is there more stress to server cause first it sort then select n then insert recds into my table...and will my table contains the same order that view has????

T.I.A

Papillon
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 15:43:14
You'll have to test that. I don't use views to insert data.

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 16:20:11
>>and will my table contains the same order that view has????

If your table has a clustered index (on something other than an identity column) then the order of your select statement will not effect the order of the inserted rows. However, I imagine that if you order the selected rows by the clustered index columns then it could help the speed of your insert.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-23 : 21:08:45
quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

quote:
Originally posted by eyechart

-ec

I've never understood why people don't do that. I just hate seeing SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT in views. It seems so pointless.

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan

We use some views that are created for the specific purpose of BCPing data out in a specific order. I know we could do this with a query, but it is convenient to BCP using a view with the order by built into it.

I also use SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT when loading a temp table with an identity column when I want to use the identity column as a row number for a set of ordered data. This makes sure that the identity sequence corresponds to the sequence of the ordered data. This is very convenient for ranking large sets of data.

I sometimes use a SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT in a derived table in a query to prevent SQL Server from "stepping into" the query in it's query plan. I used it in the function, F_TABLE_NUMBER_RANGE, in the link below, because I found that since it was an inline table function, SQL Server would merge the query plan with the calling query, and sometimes have a very slow query. I could have prevented this by using a multi-statement table function, but that would slow it down because it required the additional processing of inserting it into a table.

The F_TABLE_NUMBER_RANGE function has 5 cross joins in 2 levels of derived tables created from UNION ALLs, so when this gets included in an outer query plan, results could be strange. Also, SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT seems to prevent SQL Server from spending a lot of time sorting through all the possible query plans.

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47685

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -