Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Logic

Author  Topic 

ravilobo
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1184 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-09 : 11:53:46
I want to create an application which will expire after 1 month or after 50 attempts.
I want the logic for the above requirement.

This is not a pure sql server query. But any inputs will be very helpful.

------------------------
I think, therefore I am - Rene Descartes

Srinika

1378 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-09 : 12:07:54
Application ? means what ?
If u r talking about the front end application, then u may use this logic in front end.
If in front end u r worried about the source code, u can create a compiled code component (a DLL or some such) to do the same. U can make use of the Registry of the client machine ?

Please be elaborate on ur requirement
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-09 : 13:52:51
Not sure how you would do this in the database in a way that someone with the sa login couldn't circumvent it.
Go to Top of Page

ravilobo

1184 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-10 : 01:58:36
quote:
Originally posted by Srinika

Application ? means what ?

It is a front end application (e.g. VB). I know I can do it in a DLL. I just want the logic.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-10 : 02:38:21
i did something similar in Access and VB

created registry keys and at the same time saved values in Access
so if they don't match, expiration kicks in...

the date is encrypted so even if they do change directly in Access, it'll still be different because the decryption is done at application start-up

HTH

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

Srinika

1378 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-10 : 10:35:43
ravilobo

This is an SQL server forum, and you would probably get better results if you ask it in a forum where main focus is on application Development

Anyway,
U can have
1. Use Windows Registry to write the installation data and check it against the system date, each time the program runs.
(can be cracked by changing the clock - backwards at the time of starting the program)
2. Keeping an Encrypting / Decrypting program and in a table record that data and using it. A smart guy can trackdown that too
3. To have a text file which is to have encrypted data and to have a misleading - non conflicting name like MSWordInfo.sys

How critical is this - I'm sure u r not dealing with NASA ? How are the users ability to crack?
Go to Top of Page

ravilobo

1184 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-10 : 11:35:46
quote:

2. Keeping an Encrypting / Decrypting program .....

This will not work if the user re-installs every time application fails.....

quote:

3. To have a text file which ......

???????

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Srinika

1378 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-10 : 12:11:29
[quote
This will not work if the user re-installs every time application fails.....
[/quote]

Its not that easy if u follow a proper way. Means u have 3 fields in a table which has encrypted data, and u can have the first run date field with some date known to u only and u can keep one field to find whether its the first time. Then the Start date and the date which ran for the last time.
It can be checked against the system date, and all 3 fields.

Also
Thats y I asked about the seriousness of this program. If u write an inventory program for a small company, and if its a small program (monetory) - they might not try to crack it as they don't know the consequences.

Again, this is an SQL server forum and very few attempts to a Q like this.

U should understand the File related method I gave as u asked for Logic - not word by word explanation. Ur "??????" doesn't mean anything to me other than I need to explain each word by word -
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -