Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 How do I change the port number of MSDE

Author  Topic 

JonnyG
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-12 : 09:55:12
I want to give open access via the internet to an sql2000 database that i have connected to an MSDE instance. I have read that opening up access to port 1433 (the default) is a bad thing to do, therefore, what port number should I use and how do I actually change the MSDE instance to use the new port number.

Example:

My instance of MSDE is called 84.45.188.42/outside

Also, I presume I would also tell my connectionstring within my application (using ADO) to connect to 84.45.188.42/outside on the new port number too.

Help please!

thank you

Jon

JonnyG
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-12 : 10:51:58
I have actually worked out how to do this.

Firstly upgrade the MSDE to at least service pack sp3a (updates security issues).

at a command prompt type svrnetcn.exe

select TCP/IP
Select properties
change the port number
OK
Apply the changes
Stop and restart the msde instance

Ensure your firewall allows traffic for the port number you configured to get through.

From the client perspective, simply change the connection string to include the port number

eg, 84.45.188.42\outside,38748

and away you go. I just tried all of this and it works really well.

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-03-13 : 04:06:21
Not sure about MSDE, but on the "full" server version you can use "SQL Server network utility" [run ON the server], then in the "Enabled Protocols" select the Properties for TCP/IP - and there you can set the Port No.

NOTE: make sure you pick a relatively high numbered port - the normal port scanners that hackers use don't go up to the high numbers!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -