Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 setting query timeout

Author  Topic 

Sully
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-12 : 12:05:37
Hi All,

We have a telephony system written in VB, with third party plug in software for the telephone access part. Some of their controls, access SQL, and I can't see the uderlying code. Once in a while, the system locks up. The last time, all 4 channels (lines), locked at the same control. Their tech support suggested that the query timeout setting be changed. Not because that is causing the problem, but that if it's too high, currently it's set to 180 seconds, "the system gets stuck until the timeout is sent". I tried researching what might be an appropriate setting for query timeout. But I didn't find anything specific. What should I take into consideration in determining an appropriate number. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Stuck in neutral in a pedal to the metal world,
Sully

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-14 : 14:15:04
The default is 30 seconds. On one of our systems, it is set to 15 seconds since the system is well tuned. On most other systems, we leave it at 30 seconds. On our reporting environment, it's set around 5 or 10 minutes.

The system isn't stuck if the setting is too high. It's still processing the query. Reducing the number will not unstick the system. It'll cause timeout errors, so the user will not receive their data.

The vendor needs to tune their code!

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

Sully
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-24 : 10:58:41
Thank you Tara, I appreciate your input! I've been dueling with the vendor, it's soooo much fun.

Stuck in neutral in a pedal to the metal world,
Sully
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -