Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Unable to restore the database backup

Author  Topic 

Joozh
Posting Yak Master

145 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-23 : 00:33:46
Hi,

I took the backup of a database (called students) from one of the machine on our LAN and then tried to restore it on another machine but am unable to restore the database. Below are some details of the problem I am facing:

- The machine on which I am trying to restore the database (i.e. target box) previously had a database by the same name (no it was not a replica). I had deleted this database from the target box before trying to restore the database (of the same name and which was backed-up from the source box)

- When trying to restore (via EM) I get a VERY LONG dialog box with lots of details. Below are some details of what this dialog box says:

The title of the database is MS SQL-DMO (ODBC SQL State: 42000) and It says "The physical name 'C:\Program Files\.....\data\students.mdf' may be incorrect. File 'students_Data' cannot be restored to 'C:\Program Files\.....\data\students.mdf'. Use with MOVE to identify a valid location for this file.

And the dialog box provides similar details related to 'students.ldf'

Can u please help me with this.

Thanks & Regards.

-J

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-23 : 00:43:37
If you do it from EM you need to [from memory!!] go to the second tab and change the Path to the files to be something that is valid on the Target box.

It doesn't matter whether the old database is there or no (i.e. no need to pre-delete it), but there is an option to "Force" overwrite - which you may need if overwriting an existing DB.

I have to say that it didn't take me long to find the EM route tedious and to do it from Query Analyser instead. Not least of which is the time it takes EM to prepare a complete list of everything you MIGHT want to restore so that it can give you a picklist!

For an example of the syntax for RESTORE see:

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55210&SearchTerms=RESTORE+syntax

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -