Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 SQL MDF and LDF File Locations

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-04 : 08:41:38
Ernie writes "I'm kind of new to SQL Database setup. Are you able to have SQL running on one machine and the data files, mdf and ldf, located on a NAS server?
Example: I'm working with a Auditing Database that has grown so large we would like to move the data files to a NAS server that has more disk space.

When I tried to use a mapped drive I would get an error that would say something like it must be a physical drive.

Is there a script that can do what I need?

Thanks"

druer
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

314 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-04 : 10:45:59
I have a NetApp SAN and am definately able to have mapped drives used to store data and logfiles. By mapped I mean that in Windows Explorer I've mapped say \\server\location to Y:. Then I tell SQL Server to use Y:\sub-directory and all is just fine.

Hope it helps,
Dalton

Blessings aren't so much a matter of "if they come" but "are you noticing them."
Go to Top of Page

karenb
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2006-05-08 : 11:35:52
how do you tell sql to browse to the y:location?
Go to Top of Page

druer
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

314 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-09 : 13:20:04
I should clarify since I just realized you might be talking about one of those network based hard drives (NAS) and not a SAN type storage device:
1. Using Mapped drives - I use actual mapped drives for Backups NOT for the data files themselves.
2. With the SAN, Windows thinks that the SAN storage is physically present so I use that for off-server storage for the actual data files.

Sorry if I confused you,
Dalton
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -