Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Can I disable a database on error?

Author  Topic 

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 01:28:02
If I got a TORN PAGE error, or something like that, in normal operation could something automated mark the database as Read-Only, or somesuch, so that all further updates to the database were disabled until we had a chance to look at the problem?

Kristen

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 02:33:57
How about this in a job for a suspect database:

IF SELECT DATABASEPROPERTY('YourDatabase', 'IsSuspect') = 1
ALTER DATABASE YourDatabase...<add your options here>

You could also check the error level of DBCC CHECKDB to decide what to do as well.

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 02:52:27
What I was after was trapping the very first read error. But you are right, my daily CHECKDB job ought to mark the DB as Read-Only if it spots trouble.

Can I trap this somehow?

2006-05-08 00:05:33.29 spid56 Error: 823, Severity: 24, State: 2
2006-05-08 00:05:33.29 spid56 I/O error (torn page) detected during read at offset 0x000000fcc20000 in file 'F:\MSSQL\DATA\MyDatabase.mdf'..

Perhaps put a Response on an Alert for that error?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 10:48:50
Won't @@ERROR bet set to 1 if it fails? Can't you just check for that?

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 14:26:18
"Can't you just check for that?"

Yes, and indeed we do, but we just "bail out" if we get that sort of error.

But this particular error causes major headaches because the database was corrupted (drive failed in the RAID and, probably long odds but!, consequently corrupted some disk writes [to the other drives] that were happening at the time the disk failed.

So if we ever got a "torn page" error again, under any circumstances, I'd be happy that something "caught" the error and set the DB to Read-Only - to prevent any collateral damage.

Does that make sense?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 14:28:59
[code]
--your DBCC CHECKDB code or whatever goes here
IF @@ERROR <> 0 OR SELECT DATABASEPROPERTY('YourDatabase', 'IsSuspect') = 1
ALTER DATABASE YourDatabase...<add your options here>
[/code]

Tara Kizer
aka tduggan
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 14:31:01
The only way to do it without constantly running CHECKDBs is to have a job that scans the errorlog for IO errors found during regular query processing.

Paul Randal
Lead Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine + SQL Express
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-11 : 02:56:39
How embarrassing! That is so blinding obvious that its completely beyond my tiny little brain! Thanks Paul.

I'll also implement cycling the SQL Errorlog each day to stop the processing load becoming too severe

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-11 : 03:55:35
just an idea, since the errorlog is written only when an error is triggered, does it mean that information is in one of the system tables? like alert messages which you pointed out initially?

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-11 : 04:59:17
I was actually thinking I could use a command line tool like FIND to check the SQL Errorlog and then trigger an OSQL command [to mark the DB as Read-Only] if a hit was found, or something more drastic.

That would work even if SQL Server was getting very hosed - e.g. I could just stop the SQL Service

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-11 : 20:21:24
quote:
Originally posted by jen

just an idea, since the errorlog is written only when an error is triggered, does it mean that information is in one of the system tables? like alert messages which you pointed out initially?

--------------------
keeping it simple...

Not in SQL Server 2000. In SQL Server 2005 there is the suspect_pages table in msdb that you can query. A row will be added whenever a page IO error is detected.

Paul Randal
Lead Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine + SQL Express
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-12 : 01:43:49
"In SQL Server 2005 there is the suspect_pages table in msdb that you can query. A row will be added whenever a page IO error is detected."

Excellent - I like the sound of that. Thanks Paul.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -