Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 Execeution Plan affecting Performance

Author  Topic 

colin.graham@stylo.co.uk
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-25 : 04:06:24
I hope someone out there can help me. I have a stored procedure which executes a sub-procedure twice (it retrieves stock data for 2 consecutive weeks). The sub-procedure has the following piece of seemingly innocuous code:

UPDATE t
SET taxcode = pt.taxcode
FROM prodtaxes pt,
#tmp_week_actuals t
WHERE t.taxtable = pt.taxtable
AND t.prodint = pt.varint

When I run the top level procedure the first time the sub-procedure executes this statement in about 14 minutes and generates about 450,000 physical I/Os; the second time the statement executes it takes about 2.5 hours and generates about 4,500,000 physical I/Os - a ten fold increase.
I've tried changing the #tmp table to a permanent one, creating indexes on both tables, re-scheduling the procedure to avoid conflicts with other jobs and run it on a test server with no other jobs running - the outcome is always the same.

It seems to me that the Query Optimiser is generating a completely different execution plan the second time around but I don't know why and don't how how to stop it.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Regards
Colin

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-25 : 04:13:10
index on taxtable and prodint?

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

colin.graham@stylo.co.uk
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-25 : 04:17:21
Yes - indexes were the first thing that I looked at and tried combinations of.

Go to Top of Page

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-25 : 04:19:30
Are they the same data type?

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

colin.graham@stylo.co.uk
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-25 : 04:35:11
Yes, the same data type and lengths
Go to Top of Page

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-25 : 04:40:49
I can only ponder that

a) The second time through it's working on a much larger data set for the second week or
b) There's a missing join condition that is causing it to work on a cartesian product data set.

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-25 : 05:33:42
try dbcc freeprocache or sp_recompile and see if it produces a new execution plan

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -