Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 recovery/attaching Database files

Author  Topic 

wkl2
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-02 : 16:29:23
hello, (this was originally posted in Administration Forum)

I am helping out with a disaster recovery of a database and i was given 4 files. 2 MDF and 2 LDF files. When I try to attach the files to SQL Server I recieve this err msg:

Server: Msg 823, Level 24, State 6, Line 1
I/O error (torn page) detected during read at offset 0000000000000000 in file 'E:\chivirtual\GPS0Dat.mdf'.
Connection Broken

I then tried many other combinations hoping something would work --> tried individual files, just data files, tried to create a new DB and then switching/replacing out with the files i needed...etc, nothing seems to work for me. The people I am trying to help out do NOT have backups.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks...

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-02 : 21:29:53
They've had it I'm afraid. The very first page of the file is corrupt and that's the file header page. The file cannot be used in any way by SQL Server if that page is corrupt - there are no means to fix this without hex editing that page - and that is beyond all but a few people in the dev group (myself included). Product support cannot do anything to help you and we do not engage in data recovery efforts unless a bug was involved (not so in this case).

I've heard of a 3rd party tool that can scavenge data from database files (don't know the name I'm afraid - maybe someone else does) - I can only suggest that you try that or go to a data recovery firm, and impress on whoever you're helping that they get a backup strategy.

Regards

Paul Randal
Lead Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine + SQL Express
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

SQLLegend
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-22 : 11:26:09
Please fill in a recovery request at www.etechrecovery.com/recovery to send us the corrupt files for analysis.

Sincerely,
John Rocha
E-Tech Recovery
www.etechrecovery.com
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-22 : 14:05:15
quote:
Originally posted by SQLLegend

Please fill in a recovery request at www.etechrecovery.com/recovery to send us the corrupt files for analysis.

Sincerely,
John Rocha
E-Tech Recovery
www.etechrecovery.com

I don't see any mention of being able to recover SQL Server data files on your site - only Access MDBs. Can you point me at the link please?

Thanks

Paul Randal
Lead Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine + SQL Express
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-24 : 02:47:08
Google only reports one page [on that site] with MDF on it ... its a list of Filename Extensions from M through P - not that's I'm sceptical or anything!

http://www.etechrecovery.com/008-FileFormats-m.asp

Are you thinking of setting up a little One Man Band business Paul?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-24 : 21:22:14
quote:
Originally posted by SQLLegend

Sincerely,
John Rocha
E-Tech Recovery
www.etechrecovery.com

Thanks for the SPAM.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Davidpoul
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-27 : 02:53:00
What Mr Paul is saying is correct. There are lots of 3rd party tools to repair and recover mdf file. Try MDF Recovery from stellar to repair your MDF File. You can download it from http://www.mdfrecovery.com/buy-now.php

David Poul
http://www.mssqldatabaserecovery.com
Go to Top of Page

ruhiwalia
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-12-08 : 00:39:31
quote:
Originally posted by wkl2

hello, (this was originally posted in Administration Forum)

I am helping out with a disaster recovery of a database and i was given 4 files. 2 MDF and 2 LDF files. When I try to attach the files to SQL Server I recieve this err msg:

Server: Msg 823, Level 24, State 6, Line 1
I/O error (torn page) detected during read at offset 0000000000000000 in file 'E:\chivirtual\GPS0Dat.mdf'.
Connection Broken

I then tried many other combinations hoping something would work --> tried individual files, just data files, tried to create a new DB and then switching/replacing out with the files i needed...etc, nothing seems to work for me. The people I am trying to help out do NOT have backups.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks...

The error message may be you are getting because of the mdf file corruption. For that you can use mdf repair software. The software does the recovery of the corrupted files in few minutes and gives the output of high quality.

http://www.mdfrepair.com
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -