Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 deadlock delima

Author  Topic 

BigSam
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-05 : 09:59:32
I was investigating a deadlock yesterday that caused me to restart SQL before I could complete researching the cause. However, the jist of my post relates to what I think is a strange deadlock situation. SPID 54 was blocking SPID 54 & SPID 54 was blocked by SPID 54. SPID 54 was an IIS connection. Can anyone give me an example of a transaction that can block itself?

Thanks

Big Sam

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-05 : 12:36:22
You have sp4?

Are you sure that it deadlocked? It is common to get a spid marked as blocking itself due to parallelism - just means that the main thread is waiting for another thread to copmplete processing.
For it to deadlock sounds like a bug though.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-05 : 13:02:28
>>Can anyone give me an example of a transaction that can block itself?

I did see a very funky thing once where a developer emailed me the output of sp_who2 active showing a spid blocking itself. Turned out he was...let me get this straight...within a transaction, inserting to a table, calling xp_cmdshell which was in-turn was making an osql call that selected from the same table. I don't remember exactly what he was doing or why, and I'm sure it doesn't pertain to your situation. I just wanted to share

Actually now that I think about it, I remember trying to duplicate that but I couldn't get all the processes to work under the same spid, so maybe that self-blocking thing was due to parallelism as well...hmmm...oh well, nevermind

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -